Skip to content

Make a request

Traffic survey

You will need a licence if you want to carry out a traffic survey that involves placing any form of temporary counting equipment on the highway.

If you want to talk to us about carrying out a traffic survey phone the Highway Co-ordination Team on 01392 383000 and ask for ‘Section 50’.

How much will a licence cost?

A licence to place a temporary traffic counter or CCTV camera is £70 – the cancellation fee is the full £70. There is no VAT to add.

How much notice do I need to give?

All complete applications must be received at least one month in advance of the proposed start date of the works.

What if I need to close a road or change a traffic regulation order?

To close a road or change a traffic regulation you will need to apply for a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO). A temporary traffic regulation order is the legal process that we use to introduce temporary restrictions, for example a road closure, suspension of a one way street or a suspension of parking.

Road closures are a last resort and will only be granted following a completed application and risk assessment. Check the costs for temporary road closure.

Read the guidance notes and then fill in application form TTRO2. Please ensure that on the application you select that this is for a private streetworks licence.

How do I apply?

Read the application guidance notes thoroughly.
Complete the application form.
Tell us if any details change – such as the start date of the works – or if remedial work is needed.
You can download the forms, fill them in and email them to us at or print them off, fill them in and post them to:

Devon Highways
Lucombe House
County Hall
Exeter EX2 4QD