Skip to content

Make a request

Temporary traffic orders for events

You can apply for a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO) if restrictions are needed to:

  • allow an event to be held
  • enable members of the public to watch the event
  • reduce the disruption to traffic likely to be caused by the event

If your event involves closing roads, making roads one-way or suspending parking you must apply for a TTRO at least three months in advance.


Event type Major (5000+) Significant (1000 – 5000) Minor (500 – 1000) Small community (fewer than 500)
Commercial Charitable Commercial Charitable Commercial Charitable Commercial Charitable
Notification of event only No charge
Traffic regulation orders £200 £200 £200 £75 £75 No charge £75 No charge

If you need cones or signs, these will need to be arranged via a third party contractor. Only a suitable insured and trained person may place signs or cones on the highway.

If you require cones as part of a request for changes to road layouts, to give more space to cyclists and pedestrians for coronavirus (Covid-19) reasons, these should be sourced locally (town/parish councils or district councils may be able to assist). Permission will need to be sought to place these on pavements and roads.

A charitable or community event is:

  • an event organised by a registered charity where all proceeds from the event go to that charity
  • an event organised by a local community or group which is not a registered charity where all proceeds go to a charity or the local community

See the main special events page for details of how to apply


On-street enforcement of this restriction will not automatically take place so, if you would like the parking enforcement team to enforce this temporary traffic order you will need to contact the relevant enforcement team to arrange this. The team will require at least two weeks’ notice to ensure sufficient staffing is in place and confirm whether the area is enforceable.

In order to enforce any parking restriction we need to ensure that the relevant temporary restrictions are in place and that they are sufficiently advertised and signed.

So, you will need to ensure that you have signs that are available to be put up in the area at least seven days before the event. These signs need to be 67cm in length and 40cm in width, with at least one placed every 50 meters of highway that you would like us to be able to enforce.

The wording in the centre of the sign must match the type of restriction specified on your temporary traffic order. If the restriction covers both sides of the road, you should ensure that signs are on both sides of the road to make this clear to motorists.

Please note, that parking restrictions apply to everyone unless an exemption exists in our traffic orders so, our officers will treat all vehicles found in temporary restrictions in the same manner, there will be no discretion applied. In addition, we cannot move vehicles we can only issue a fine for parking in contravention to the traffic order.

If you would like advice about the best restriction to suit your event, our local enforcement teams will be happy to advise you.

If you would like more information about the best restriction to suit your event, clarity on correct signage or wish to arrange enforcement, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.