Skip to content

Make a request

Inspect a manhole

If your manhole inspection requires traffic management (such as road closures, temporary traffic lights, and stop and go boards) you will need a licence for the works.

If you can do the inspection without any traffic management you don’t need a licence, but you will need to inform us when the work goes ahead. Call the Highway Co-ordination Team on 01392 383000 and ask for ‘Section 50’.

How much will a licence cost?

A licence to inspect or CCTV survey a sewer with traffic management costs £60.  The cancellation fee is the full £60. There is no VAT to add.

How much notice do I need to give?

All complete applications must be received at least one month in advance of the proposed start date of the works. Three calendar months’ notice must be given if a road closure is required. If the work is an emergency (will cause danger to life or damage to property) contact the Traffic Managers Unit by phoning 01392 383000 and asking for ‘Section 50’.

What if I need to close a road or change a traffic regulation order?

To close a road or change a traffic regulation you will need to apply for a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO). A temporary traffic regulation order is the legal process used to introduce temporary restrictions.  For example, a road closure, suspension of a one way street or a suspension of parking.

Road closures will only be approved following a completed application and risk assessment. Check the costs for temporary road closure.

Read the guidance notes and then fill in application form TTRO2. Please ensure that on the application you select that this is for a private streetworks licence.

How do I apply?

Read the application guidance notes thoroughly.
Complete the application form.
Tell us if any details change – such as the start date of the works – or if remedial work is needed.

You can download the forms, fill them in and email them to us at or print them off, fill them in and post them to:

Devon Highways
Great Moor House
Bittern Road