Skip to content

Factsheet: Residents' parking permits

Who can have a permit?

Permits are usually issued to the full-time residents of the address, for use on a vehicle which is also registered at that address. Second home owners may need to supply supplementary evidence of eligibility.

Resident permits cannot be used in larger vehicles, minibuses (capable of carrying over 3500kg laden weight or no more than 12 passengers) and motorhomes. Vehicles of this type and size should be parked elsewhere. If in doubt please contact the Council’s parking services team first before buying a permit.

Motorbikes, with or without a sidecar do not need a permit in a residents’ parking scheme.

If you are reliant on regular visits from family, friends or professionals for essential support to allow you to live independently in your own home, you can apply for an essential visitor permit to share with your visitors whilst they are with you.

Blue Badge holders

Blue Badge holders no longer need to buy a resident permit to park on their street as displaying a valid Blue Badge is enough.

However, if you regularly travel with friends or family in their cars and will be relying on your blue badge for parking at your destination, we do recommend that you buy a resident permit for your own car to avoid receiving a penalty charge notice for not displaying a valid permit or Blue Badge while you were away from home.


In conjunction with the University of Exeter travel guidelines, before you bring your car with you to university, please consider your parking requirements and explore greener travel options. Please only bring your vehicle if it is absolutely essential to the course you are studying e.g. travel to placements.

Student halls, new developments and re-developed properties are excluded from the on-street residents parking schemes around them.

If you are living in rented accommodation where permits are available they will be limited to 2 per household. Please do not bring a vehicle that you cannot park.