Skip to content

Factsheet: Resident Parking Permits - information and FAQs

Applications and renewals

If this is your first application using MiPermit Devon you are required to upload two supporting proofs with your application to have an account for your address.

  1. One for your property address, ideally a Council Tax bill for the current period, or a tenancy agreement with your name or spouse’s name on it, or a solicitors letter confirming completion of purchase of the property address, or a utility bill in your name for the address dated within the last three months.
  2. The other for the vehicle to be issued with a permit, for example, the V5C or insurance documents showing the name and address of the applicant, or if you use a company-owned vehicle a letter from your employer confirming employment and required use of a vehicle issued by them.

Your supporting proofs can be submitted in one of the following file types: photos, jpegs, png or pdf files. You will only be asked for proof of eligibility when you first create your account for your property address.

Pay careful attention to the use of the letter O and number 0. The Council is not responsible for any typo errors made by the applicant at the time of submission. Make sure you have selected the correct address and input the registration number of your car correctly. We aim to respond to applications within 48 hours of your submission time. Your permit will not be valid until approved so you should not use a resident permit only space until notified that your application has been approved.

Paper permits and scratch card books can be made available to those customers who are unable to apply online or have no access to the internet, however the application process is now a postal one only and will incur delays as a result.  We can no longer process card payments by telephone. Please refer to the frequently asked questions option on the left side of this page to find out how to apply by post.

Resident zone parking permits must be issued in the name of the person, who according to the DVLA is the registered keeper of the vehicle. Your vehicle does not need to be registered at the permit address before you can apply for your permit. May we remind you that it is an offence not to inform the DVLA of any registered keeper or address detail changes. Foreign registered vehicles must be registered with the DVLA after 6 months of residency in the UK.

Apply for, or renew a resident parking permit or buy visitor permits

Apply for permits

Use the above link for all on-street permits for use in residential parking zones including resident, visitor, essential visitor, business or daily or weekly contractor parking permits or waivers, and books of visitor scratch cards.

If this is your first time applying, ignore the login box instead click on Buy Digital permits on the left of the screen or the permit type you wish to buy below the login box.

If renewing or buying additional permits and you have an account already, use the login box in the centre of the scheme to login to your account.

You can buy or renew a permit and set a start date up to 30 days in advance of the date of applying.  We don’t recommend buying a permit more than 10 days in advance of when you will take up residency at an address, especially if you will be moving into a shared student house or HMO.

All future reminders will be sent by email for you to renew and pay for via your account. Any changes needed to car registration numbers can be self-managed via your account in real-time.

Should the Council reject your application, any payment pending to the Council will automatically be returned to the card account used for payment. The time taken for this to show in your account balances will vary dependant on the card type and issuer.

A downloadable step-by-step guide can be found here.

Apply for Exeter S1 or Sidmouth A Resident parking permits

Customers requiring paper permits for Exeter S1 Zone or Sidmouth A should also apply online using the link above. Your permit will be issued as a paper permit and posted to you by first class post. Please allow up to three working days for delivery and do not use a residents’ space until your permit can be displayed.

Apply for or renew an Annual Car Park Permit, Annual Tradespersons or Landlord Parking Permit

Annual Permits for Stover County Park, Gran Western Canal, St Andrew’s Road, and Bitton House car parks and our Annual Tradesperson, landlord or contractor permit renewals are available via the link below.

We will send you a reminder letter 30 days before your permit expires. Only use the renew option if all the details on the letter sent to you and the car registration numbers remain the same as on your current permit.

Make sure you apply before your existing permit expires and leave enough time for the new permit to be delivered by post to you. If you park without a valid permit on display, even if you are waiting for the replacement to be delivered, you may still receive a parking ticket for parking whilst displaying an invalid permit.

Should you need or want to make changes to the personal details on your permit do not renew it and ask us to make changes afterwards.  Please contact us for further assistance and before the current permit expires.  In situations of any doubt, we advise you to contact us by email at for further advice before buying a permit.

Buy or renew paper permits

Permit prices

Permit prices vary by the permit type and duration. Permit prices are also now being linked to HMRC car tax bands.

A full list of our permit prices can be found in Appendix B.

Physical paper permits once purchased and used are non-refundable. We currently can only refund where a permit or permit book is returned to us unused. Any refund issued will be to the card used to pay for it initially.

Digital e-permits can be cancelled by the holder and any unused months or visitor hours will be automatically refunded to the account holder. If an application is declined by the Council a refund will automatically be generated and returned to card used at time of application. The time taken to show in your accounts will vary dependant on the bank or card issuer used.

Permits cannot be transferred between named holders or between differing zones.