Banners and Seasonal Decorations
Before you start
Please read and agree to the following terms and conditions;
- Ensure you have notified your parish or town council about your proposal, and that disagreements are resolved before banners or decorations are put up.
- Equipment must be erected and dismantled safely. See the Traffic Signs Manual (Chapter 8) for information on working safely in the highway. We recommend employing a Chapter 8 accredited contractor to erect and dismantle.
- Seasonal decorations to be removed each year, they can cause issues if left in situ. Particularly if strung in trees, as they can cause problems if we need to carry out tree surgery.
- The items must be securely fixed so as not to pose a danger to the public, and there must be a minimum clearance of 5.7m above the highway.
- You should get permission from the property owner before attaching your banner or decorations to any private property
- Your organisation needs to hold adequate public liability insurance. We would suggest a minimum of £5 million.
- Items must be erected no sooner than two weeks before the event and must be removed within two days of the event ending.
- Any items considered to be unsafe, a nuisance, inappropriate, advertising commercial services, or in breach of these terms and conditions may be removed without notice. If removed they will need to be collected within 14 days and will be subject to a £159 release fee. If not collected within 14 days they will be disposed of.
- The banner will not be erected on a roundabout or at a junction. Further information can be found at sponsoring a roundabout
- If a site inspection is required a £79.50 fee will apply
Where equipment is to be attached or draw power from a streetlight you must get specific approval from the Street Lighting Team. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your proposal. There may be a charge for testing equipment if this is required.