Skip to content

Guide: Register a death

Part 2 What will happen when I register a death?

What do I need to take?

You must take the medical certificate showing the cause of death (signed by a doctor) with you. You will also need to tell the registrar:

  • date and place of death
  • name and surname of the deceased including any previous names, for example, maiden name
  • date and place of birth
  • occupation
  • Name and Occupation of surviving spouse or civil partner where the deceased was married, in a civil partnership or a widow/widower or surviving civil partner
  • usual address
  • whether the deceased was in receipt of a pension or allowance from public funds
  • if the deceased was married, the date of birth of the surviving widow or widower.

You should also take some form of identification for yourself (suggested documents: passport, council tax bill, driving licence, birth certificate, utility bill). For documents required relating to the deceased please see Tell Us Once below.

If available then you should also take the deceased’s NHS medical card, birth certificate and marriage or civil partnership certificate.

What documents will I be given?

  1. A Certificate for Burial or Cremation. This will need to be given to the funeral director.
  2. A Certificate of Registration of Death (form BD8). This form may need to be filled out if the person was getting a State Pension or any other benefits.

Death certificates may be purchased from the registrar on the day of registration. It is likely that you will need certificates when it comes to sorting out the person’s affairs. Find out more information about certificates.

Applying to correct a death certificate

If you find that the death register entry contains information which was not correct at the time of the registration, or relevant details have been left out, it may be possible for the details to be changed, or added, at a later date.

An application should be made to the registration office where the death was registered. Advice will be given on what is required for the correction to be completed. It may be necessary for the Corrections and Re-Registration Section at the General Register Office to be contacted.

Tell Us Once

The Tell Us Once service allows you to report the death once, it means we can tell other government organisations on your behalf. At the end of your appointment you will have the opportunity to provide the registrar with information that they can use to inform these other organisations.

Take as many of the following documents as possible to your appointment:

  • Passport
  • Driving Licence
  • National Insurance Number
  • Blue Badge
  • National Bus Pass.