Skip to content

Guide: Plan a marriage or civil partnership

Part 3 Give your notice

Giving notice of your intention to get married or form a civil partnership is a legal requirement and you must both have done this before your ceremony can take place.


You need to give notice at least 29 days before you intend to get married or form a civil partnership.

You must have booked your ceremony venue and registrar before you give notice. If you change the location of your ceremony you will need to give notice again.

We recommend that you give notice in good time – but your ceremony must be due to take place within 12 months of the date you give notice.


You must give notice at your local registration office.

If you live in Devon you can give notice at any of our registration offices. You must have lived in Devon for at least 8 nights immediately before you give notice.

Please call 0345 155 1002 to book an appointment at any of our registration offices.

If you do not live in Devon you will need to give notice at your own local register office. If you live in different registration districts you will need to give notice separately. It doesn’t need to be done at the same time.

If you or your partner is from outside the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or from Switzerland you will need to attend an appointment together, even if you don’t both live in Devon. You may need to wait up to 70 days before getting married or forming a civil partnership.

At your appointment

You will need to produce certain documents to confirm your name, age, marital status and nationality. Please see GOV.UK – documents you’ll need to give notice for an exact list of what you’ll need to take.


It costs £35 per person to give notice. This is paid at the time of your appointment.

The cost can rise to £47 per person if either you or your partner are from outside the EU, EEA or from Switzerland.