Skip to content

Apply to correct a certificate

If you wish to amend details or record new information on registration certificates you must apply to the Registrar General for authorisation. If this is agreed the Registrar General will provide instructions to the local registrar who will arrange an appointment for you to sign the amendment as correct.

At this point your local Registration Office will be able to issue a new certificate for a fee.

You may record new or different forenames(s) in a birth record within 12 months of the date of registration. You may also add the natural fathers’ details where the parents marry, where a Declaration of Parentage is issued by the court and where a Parental Order is issued for a child born through surrogacy.

For further information please visit the General Register Office or telephone 0300 123 1837.