Have your say on the Ilfracombe seafront masterplan
Posted on: 21 January 2020
Local residents and businesses are being invited to take part in a public consultation event to comment on a new masterplan for Ilfracombe seafront. The consultation includes a face to face event at the Landmark Theatre on 30 and 31 January.
As part of Ilfracombe’s Strategic Plan 2015-2025, North Devon Council and the Ilfracombe Regeneration Board have been working together to oversee the process of a new public realm masterplan for Ilfracombe seafront. Consultants Node were appointed to create a masterplan that will enhance the seafront’s natural beauty, draw tourists and local residents to the seafront area of the town and help regenerate the area.
A stakeholder consultation took place last year, during which members from a wide range of Ilfracombe’s community groups were asked to help shape the masterplan in a way that represented the views of Ilfracombe. Now the public are being invited to examine the ideas and share their own in a six week online consultation, which starts next Monday (27 January) or by attending a face to face event at the Landmark Theatre on Thursday and Friday (30-31 January).
Some of the ideas that are the subject of the Ilfracombe seafront masterplan consultation are:
- improve accessibility and connections to the High Street and the harbour
- more seating, shelter, lighting, interpretation and dog bins are needed throughout the seafront area
- public spaces need a clear function and purpose in order to make the seafront a better experience
- the wilderness and natural aspects of Capstone Hill should be protected
- more activities for all ages including young and elderly should be provided
- play park precedents from Paignton and Minehead should be looked at
- the museum should be extended or possibly relocated to the old pavilion site
- a fitness and/or art trail could be incorporated that also includes sculpture and work by local artists
- an outdoor amphitheatre / stage should be incorporated with three possible locations: Jubilee Gardens / Capstone Hill top / Old Pavilion site
North Devon Council’s Lead Member for Economic Development and Strategic Planning Policy, Councillor Malcolm Prowse, says: “We have lots of exciting ideas for how we would like Ilfracombe’s seafront to be regenerated in order to improve the health and well-being of all those who live and work in the town – as well enhancing the enjoyment of the tourists who visit it. We now want to hear from our residents about what they’d like to see happening on the seafront, to make sure we have captured the views of those who matter most. I hope the people of Ilfracombe will help us by sharing their views, either by coming to our face to face event in Ilfracombe or taking part in the online consultation.”
Officers from the council’s regeneration team will be available to chat through their ideas at the Landmark Theatre between 10am and 2pm on 30-31 January. Residents who are unable to attend the event can take part by completing an online survey at www.northdevon.gov.uk/Ilfracombe-consultation between 27 January and 9 March.Posted in: