Skip to content

Getting medical advice while on holiday in England

Posted on:

Many people will be enjoying a staycation in England over the next few weeks, but what happens if you need medical help while away from home?  

If it’s something minor that’s troubling you, you can pop into a local pharmacy where you’re staying. Pharmacists are qualified healthcare professionals who can help with things like aches, pains, bites and stings or tummy troubles. 

If you need to access a GP practice on holiday, you can still call your own GP practice for support. Most offer telephone, video or online consultations and they’ll have all your medical records to hand, so always call your own practice first. 

But if it’s something more serious where you think you might need A&E, contact NHS 111 first. NHS 111 can book you into A&E or direct you to an alternative service, like a minor injuries unit, if it’s more appropriate.