Rachel Gillott, Acting Head of Children’s Social Care (Deputy Chief Officer)
Roles and responsibilities
As Acting Head of Service, Rachel is responsible for all children’s social work services in Devon, working with partners to keep the most vulnerable children safer within their families where possible, and where this is not possible to ensure effective planning for permanence through the looked after system. This includes services for disabled children, young offenders and the services provided by Adopt South West.
Rachel supports the Chief Officer for Children’s Services to work closely with partners, particularly in education and health, to look at how the whole system in Devon, including universal, targeted and specialist services, can ensure children and families are provided with the right service at the right time in response to need, and making sure we are using our resources effectively.
Rachel has worked in Children’s Services for over 25 years and has been a leader in a number of local authorities. She joined Devon County Council in December 2012. She is passionate about gaining the best outcomes for children and families and adds: “It is a privilege to work within Devon and to have oversight of the most vulnerable children at this time of considerable change and improvement.”
See the direct reports for Acting Head of Children’s Social Care below:
Rachel’s direct reports are:
- Fran Giblin: Locality Director, North
- Hilary Brooks: Locality Director, Mid and East
- Kath Drescher: Service Manager, Adopt South West
- Shaeda Alam: Improvement Lead
- Tom Stevenson:Senior Manager, Safeguarding and QA
- Julie Mepham: Senior Manager, Corporate Parenting (Interim)
- Hilary Brooks:Senior Manager, Disabled Children’s Service
- Andrea Morris: Senior Manager, Workforce Development
- Rachel Nall: Principal Social Worker
- Jenny-Ellen Scotland: Locality Director, Exeter
- Ashley Arkless: Acting Locality Director, South
Please note that due to the implementation of a new HR system the links to structure charts are not currently available. We are working on a new process in order to be able to provide this information again.