eBooks and Audiobooks
We offer a free Overdrive eBooks and Audiobooks service to Devon Libraries members.
The links below will take you to the home page for each of our eBook services and show you the latest titles available. You can also to search by stock category or keyword.
To borrow a title you need your library card number and PIN.
Loans automatically expire at the end of the lending period so there are no late fees.
To read an eBook:
Either select ‘Overdrive Read’ titles to read directly in your internet browser (eg Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari etc). Video introduction to Overdrive Read
Or download to your pc and transfer to your ereader (eg Kobo) using Adobe Digital Editions
Or download to your mobile device (eg tablet, phone) using Overdrive Media Console
To listen to an eAudiobook on a mobile device (eg tablet, phone etc) use Overdrive Media Console
The service is compatible with a wide range of devices but the ever growing range of tablets, phones, eReaders, operating systems and file types can lead to confusion, so please get in touch with us if you need some advice. email@example.com
The specific instructions for getting started with most devices can be found on the Overdrive Help pages – follow the link below and type the name of your device into the search box.
The following device-specific leaflets are also available:
- Android (334KB - pdf help)
- Chromebook (359KB - pdf help)
- iOS Apple (348KB - pdf help)
- Kindle Fire (354KB - pdf help)
- Kobo (319KB - pdf help)
- NOOK (328KB - pdf help)
To find out if your device works with our eBook service please check the Compatible devices pages. The only major device not compatible with our service is the Kindle. (Kindle HD & Kindle Fire are compatible).
Please note that access to the eBook service is unavailable between 3am and 5am due to regular system maintenance.
And there is more….
Out of copyright books can also be borrowed, including thousands of classic titles – these do not count against your loan limit. Public domain ebooks
Loan periods etc
- Borrow (‘check out’) up to three items at a time (up to a maximum of 9 items within a 14 day period)
- Add up to five items to your cart ('basket') at a time These basket items will expire and return to view for other browsers after 30 minutes.
- 'Holds’ or reservations for items in stock will be free The ‘Hold’ limit is 5 items.
- The ‘Hold Pick Up Time’ is three days
- The default lending period is 14 days but you can change your personal default setting to either a 7 or 21 day loan period.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this service.