Before you Buy bath equipment, consider the points listed below:
- Consider the shape, fixtures and surface texture of your bath, as these can all affect the fitting and function of bath equipment.
- Non slip mats may reduce risk of slipping if standing in the bath. Mats should be placed on a dry dust free and oil free surface before filling the bath. Waterproof adhesive strips are an alternative.
- Grab rails: If additional rails are needed for support when seated or getting in/out of the bath, choose wall or floor fixed plastic grab rails for safe use in the bathroom. Some rails fit to the floor beside the bath and clamp around bath edge; they give a secure grip but may impede use of other equipment. Grab rails that ‘Clamp on’ to the bath with no floor or wall fixing are not secure. Suction grab rails do not have a reliable fixing for a damp bathroom environment. Prices from £10
- Bath Step: Steps can be a trip hazard in the bathroom. Prices from £20. Models with an integral handle may be safer. Prices from £60
- Bath Seats: Seats give a 6”, 8”, 10” or 12” raised seated position in the bottom of the bath. They fit to the bottom of the bath with suckers or hang on the sides of the bath. Suckers must be fitted on a dry, dust and oil free bath surface before filling with water. Some have an adjustable seat height and some have adjustable width to fit closely against the bath sides for extra stability. Prices from £15
- Bath Boards: Fit across the top edge of the bath and can be used as a seat when washing over the bath or can be used with an over bath shower for a seated transfer. Measure from wall to bath edge to select the correct length board to fit across your bath with at least 1” of flat surface for support each side and less than 1” overhang. Boards have stabilising side pads which fit firmly against the inside bath sides. Most boards are comfortable with a 9” width but wider boards are available and some have an integral handle for extra stability. When seated on the board, lift legs over the side into the bath. Bath Boards can be used with a bath seat to get closer to the water BUT good upper body strength and balance are required. Prices from £24
- Swivel seats: These seats fit on a portable framework on top of the bath. They have armrests and a back rest and the seat turns with you as you lift your legs over the bath giving the same washing position but more support than a bath board. Prices from £150
- ALWAYS FOLLOW MANUFACTURER’S FITTING INSTRUCTIONS
- Powered Bathlifts: see :’Bathlift: Before you Buy’ Guide
For impartial advice from an Occupational Therapist and information about equipment for independence, suppliers and prices contact: The Independent Living Centre 01392 380181
Contact us to arrange to try out equipment