Who to contact if you experience flooding

What to do in the event of a flood: Your guide to who you should call

If it is an emergency and there is a danger to life as a result of flooding you should not hesitate to call 999.

To report flooding of the highway and blocked drains contact Devon County Council’s Highway Customer Service Centre on 0345 155 1004 or visit the Flooding and Drainage pages. Office hours are Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm and Saturdays 9am – 1pm. For emergencies outside of these hours call 01392 383329.

For any flooding on major trunk roads (the M5 A30, A38, A35 and A303) contact the Highways England on 0300 123 5000 (24 hours service).

To report flooding from sewers and water pipes contact South West Water on 0844 346 2020 (24 hours service).

For advice and enquiries about flood warnings contact the Environment Agency’s Floodline on 0345 988 1188 (24 hours service).

For general queries about main river or flooding from the sea contact the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 or 0345 988 1188 or visit www.gov.uk/environment-agency.

In the first instance of local flooding and for sandbag requests contact your local district or parish council flood warden to determine the availability of sandbags in your area.

Here is a list of the town and parish councils by district area with further information on sandbag policies:

How to contact us

For all other flooding enquiries contact the Devon County Council Flood Risk Management Team on 0345 155 1015 or email floodrisk@devon.gov.uk.

Flood Risk Management
AB3 Lucombe House
County Hall
Topsham Road

You can also contact the relevant flood risk officer for your area:

Exeter, Teignbridge and Mid Devon
Hock Lee
01392 38 3000 (ask for me by name)

East Devon
Jessica Bishop
01392 38 3000 (ask for me by name)

South Hams, West Devon, North Devon and Torridge
01392 38 3000 (ask for Flood Risk)


Last Updated: November 2019