National Smile Month: 18th May to 18th June 2020
The national campaign to promote good oral health is being run by the Oral Health Foundation launching on 18th May. We are running our own campaign in Devon, with help from local partners and if your organisation would like to take part then read on for ideas!
What are the key messages for the campaign?
There are three simple messages that you can help to promote in your setting or organisation:
- Brush your teeth last thing at night and on at least one other occasion with a fluoride toothpaste
- Cut down on how much sugary food and drink you have, and how often you have them
- Visit your dentist regularly, as often as they recommend.
Our local campaign with Libraries Unlimited – book offer for children!
Libraries Unlimited are encouraging younger children to brush their teeth regularly during the campaign and rewarding them with a free picture book! Parents/carers can download a toothbrushing chart (or design their own) and children who complete it can claim a free book (subject to availability) called Alan’s Big Scary Teeth’ see Libraries Unlimited website for details.
How you can support the campaign
The Oral Health Foundation is promoting ideas to support this campaign online here are some suggestions;
- The Great British Brushathon took place on Wednesday 3 June and connected people from all around the country in one giant brushing event
- Poems to smile to the Oral Health Foundation invites you to send them a poem about what a smile means to you, you can email it or post on social media
- The smiley singalong do you love to sing? Choose a song that has ‘smile’ in the title, sing along and post a video to social media!
- The Oral Health Foundation has free online children’s lessons and presentations for early years, KS1 and KS2 children as part of their oral health Dental Buddy programme.
Promote useful apps: Brush DJ
Use a creative way to promote toothbrushing for the right amount of time using of one of the NHS approved apps. Listen to your favourite music in the process by using the Brush DJ app.
Promote the campaign in your newsletter or social media
You can download free resources and social media posts from the Oral Health Foundation to use in your newsletter or social media accounts, or use some of the messages below. Use the hashtag #smilemonth to raise awareness.
- How Sugar Smart are your child’s after school snacks? Check out these simple swaps. #smilemonth
- Reduce babies’ chances of developing tooth decay. Only breast or formula milk or cooled, boiled water should be given in bottles. For further advice read drinks and cups for babies and young children #smilemonth
- Brush teeth day and night with a fluoride toothpaste smear for under 3s and pea sized amount for over 3s. For help on brushing toddlers teeth read our tooth brushing tips #smilemonth
We are helping to promote good oral health as part of @smilemonth. Because a healthy mouth matters #SmileMonth