Music Licence

We are aware that several settings have recently been contacted about having to purchase a music licence.

Under The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, permission is needed from the relevant copyright holders – those people who create music – in order to play or perform music in public and obtaining TheMusicLicence gives you this permission.

In the past many settings/childminders have purchased this licence, but it can depend on what you are using the music for, for instance there may be situations where the law permits music to be used without requiring TheMusicLicence, such as where music is only performed or played for instructional purposes in an educational establishment.

We would advise you follow the guidance on the Government website which directs you to the PPL/PRS site.

You may also want to contact your own membership organisation like PLA/PACEY/NDNA for advice.