Coronavirus (COVID-19) and school admissions
We are monitoring government guidance and currently considering the possible impact of the coronavirus on school admissions. Further information on the impacts of the coronavirus can be found here.
Admissions and Transport Policy Consultation 2022-23
Local authorities are required to publish co-ordinated admissions schemes for the first entry to schools in their area. That means primary schools (reception, a transfer from infant to junior schools, first to middle schools) and secondary schools (middle to high schools and primary to secondary schools).
Devon County Council’s annual consultation on School Admission and Transport Arrangements will run from Monday 2 November 2020 to Friday 8 January 2021.
This will include its co-ordinated admissions scheme for 2022-23 and Education Transport Policy for 2022-23 and the admissions policies for individual schools in Devon.
Responses must be submitted either in writing to: Policy and Strategy Officer (Education), Room L60, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QD, or by email:email@example.com
After the consultation, responses will be considered by the Local Authority and by relevant schools. A report will be presented to The Cabinet of the Council for its consideration on in February 2021.
The determined versions of all policies will be published by 15 March 2021 at devon.cc/schoolpolicy and on the websites of schools and their own admissions authorities.
The following schools will also be included:
- in Plymouth: Old Priory Junior Academy
- Oreston Community Academy
- Plympton St Mary’s C of E Infant School
- St Edward’s C of E Primary School
- St George’s C of E Primary School
- St Matthew’s C of E Primary and Nursery School
- and in Torbay : All Saints, Babbacombe C of E Primary School
- Collaton St Mary C of E Primary School
- Ellacombe Academy
- Galmpton C of E Primary School
- Ilsham C of E Academy
- Oldway Primary School
- Roselands Primary School
- Shiphay Learning Academy
- St Marychurch C of E Primary School
- St Michael’s C of E Academy
- Upton St James C of E Primary School
- Warberry C of E Academy
A summary of significant Proposed Changes for School Policies to policy that are proposed will be published during the consultation at devon.cc/schoolpolicy
In Devon, we believe that arrangements should be open for consultation annually, including all aspects of the arrangements such as the number of places available at each school. While not a legal requirement where there are no changes proposed, this enables parents new to admissions and new members of staff and governors at schools to consider the arrangements. You are invited to review the arrangements for Devon County Council and individual schools and to ask yourself the following questions:
- are the arrangements reasonable?
- are the arrangements clear?
- are the arrangements objective?
- do the arrangements comply with the school admissions code 2014 and the school admissions appeals code 2012, and the laws and regulations behind them?
- will the arrangements cause disadvantage or discrimination?
- could changes be made that would improve the arrangements, including the number of places available at a school, how they prioritise children when they have more applications than places, the designated areas for schools or how applications are managed?
If you have any comments or suggestions during the consultation, please contact us using the details at the bottom of this page. The closing date for responses, either to us or directly to a school is 8 January 2021.
To view the proposed Devon Normal Round Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme 2022-23, the Devon In-Year Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme for 2021-22 and the Devon Education Transport policies for 2022-23, please visit devon.cc/lapolicies.
To view the proposed admissions policies for 2022-23 for Devon state-funded schools and for a number of Plymouth and Torbay academies, please go to devon.cc/schoolpolicy.
If you would like this in a different format such as large print, braille or tape, or in a different language, please contact the Council’s Information Centre on 01392 380101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unsure of any terms or have a question about any aspect of these arrangements, please contact the Policy and Strategy Officer, marking your email ‘School Admissions and Transport Policy’. Policies will be determined by 28 February 2021 and published here by 15 March 2021.
The information below constitutes an appendix to all local authority policies:
- DfE School admissions code
- Office of the schools’ adjudicator
- Education and Skills Funding Agency
- Gov. UK – General education and learning information
- Gov. UK – School admissions and transport to school advice
- Ofsted – Office for Standards in Education
- Ofsted – Primary and Secondary schools information and reports
- GIAS – Get information about schools
You can email :email@example.com
or write, marking the letter ‘School Admissions and Transport Policy’ to: Policy and Strategy Officer (Education), Room L60, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QD.