2021/22 Admissions policies consultation
For general information on admissions in Devon or application forms, please see School admissions.
Local authorities are required to publish co-ordinated admissions schemes for the first entry to schools in their area. That means primary schools (reception, a transfer from infant to junior schools, first to middle schools) and secondary schools (middle to high schools and primary to secondary schools).
Devon County Council’s annual consultation on School Admission and Transport Arrangements will run from Friday 1 November 2019 to Friday 3 January 2020.
This will include its co-ordinated admissions scheme for 2021-22 and Education Transport Policy for 2021-22 and the admissions policies for individual schools in Devon.
Responses must be submitted either in writing to: Policy and Strategy Officer (Education), Room L60, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QD, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mark your correspondence as “Admissions and Transport Consultation”
After the consultation, any responses will be considered by the Local Authority and by relevant schools. A report will be presented to The Cabinet of the Council for its consideration on 7 February 2020.
The determined versions of all policies will be published by 15 March 2020 at devon.cc/schoolpolicy and on the websites of schools and their own admissions authorities.
The following schools will also be included:
- in Plymouth: Old Priory Junior Academy
- Oreston Community Academy
- Plympton St Mary’s C of E Infant School
- St Edward’s C of E Primary School
- St George’s C of E Primary School
- St Matthew’s C of E Primary & Nursery School
- and in Torbay : All Saints, Babbacombe C of E Primary School
- Collaton St Mary C of E Primary School
- Ellacombe Academy
- Galmpton C of E Primary School
- Ilsham C of E Academy
- Oldway Primary School
- Roselands Primary School
- Shiphay Learning Academy
- St Marychurch C of E Primary School
- St Michael’s C of E Academy
- Upton St James C of E Primary School
- Warberry C of E Academy
A summary of significant Proposed Changes for School Policies to policy that are proposed can be found at devon.cc/schoolpolicy
Devon County Council is consulting from 1 November 2019 to 3 January 2020 on a combined primary and secondary admissions scheme Devon proposed for 2021-22. There will also be links to the proposed arrangements for schools in Devon that are responsible for their own admissions policies and individual policy documents for Devon’s community and voluntary controlled schools. The scheme has been updated from the normal round scheme for 2020-21 to add clarification and reflect good practice following changes in legislation. Dates will be rolled forward a year.
In Devon, we believe that arrangements should be open for consultation annually, including all aspects of the arrangements such as the number of places available at each school. While not a legal requirement where there are no changes proposed, this enables parents new to admissions and new members of staff and governors at schools to consider the arrangements. You are invited to review the arrangements for Devon County Council and individual schools and to ask yourself the following questions:
- are the arrangements reasonable?
- are the arrangements clear?
- are the arrangements objective?
- do the arrangements comply with the school admissions code 2014 and the school admissions appeals code 2012, and the laws and regulations behind them?
- will the arrangements cause disadvantage or discrimination?
- could changes be made that would improve the arrangements, including the number of places available at a school, how they prioritise children when they have more applications than places, the designated areas for schools or how applications are managed?
If you have any comments or suggestions, please contact us using the details at the bottom of this page. The closing date for responses, either to us or directly to a school is 3 January 2020.
To view the proposed Devon Normal Round Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme 2021-22, the Devon In-Year Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme for 2020-21 and the Devon Education Transport policies for 2021-22, please visit devon.cc/lapolicies.
To view the proposed admissions policies for 2021-22 for Devon state-funded schools and for a number of Plymouth and Torbay academies, please go to devon.cc/schoolpolicy. Admissions policies for each school for 2019-20, 2020-21 which have already been determined and the draft policy for 2021-22 can be found in individual school folders.
If you would like this in a different format such as large print, braille or tape, or in a different language, please contact the Council’s Information Centre on 01392 380101 or email email@example.com. If you are unsure of any terms or have a question about any aspect of these arrangements, please contact the Policy and Strategy Officer, marking your email ‘Admission Arrangements’. Policies will be determined by 29 February 2020 and published here by 15 March 2019.
The information below constitutes an appendix to all local authority policies:
- DfE School admissions code
- Office of the schools’ adjudicator
- Education and Skills Funding Agency
- Gov. UK – General education and learning information
- Gov. UK – School admissions and transport to school advice
- Ofsted – Office for Standards in Education
- Ofsted – Primary and Secondary schools information and reports
- GIAS – Get information about schools
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org
or write, marking the letter ‘Admissions arrangements’ to: Policy and Strategy Officer (Education), Room L60, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QD,