Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We would like to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS.

For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information for Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice pages.

Guide: Supporting children with visual and sensory impairment

Certificate of Vison Impairment (CVI) – explained

Only an Ophthalmologist (eye doctor) can issue a ‘certificate of vision impairment’ (CVI), change it or officially cancel it (de-certify).

This video explains why and how a certificate of vision impairment is given

The CVI formally confirms someone as either severely sight impaired or sight impaired.

The CVI is also a referral for a social care assessment. This assessment will bring together services and support if needed.  In Devon, the ROVIC Service carry out this assessment as part of the CVI registration process for all children under the age of 18.

The ophthalmologist will send a copy of the CVI to the ROVIC Service. Once we receive this, we will contact you.