Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We would like to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS.

For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information for Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice pages.

Guide: Getting an assessment and accessing support from the Disabled Children's Service

Universal services

Services that anyone can use are known as ‘universal services’. They are open to everyone across Devon, regardless of whether they are disabled or not.

Most families will get the support they need by accessing universal services. Any professional who knows your family, for example, a health visitor, teacher, school nurse, or GP can help you explore the universal services available in your local area.

You can also search online:

These services can help families where your child:

  • has additional care needs that are being met by you and your family
  • requires support to broaden their experiences and/or prevent a build-up of stress in your family
  • has a sensory impairment or learning disability that does not impact significantly on their care need
  • has emotional and/or behavioural difficulties which are not linked to a chronic and enduring disability

Examples of universal services include:

  • midwifery
  • primary care services (including GPs)
  • health visitors
  • school nurses
  • dental practices
  • early years settings
  • schools
  • voluntary sector services
  • faith groups
  • library and information services
  • further education
  • benefits agencies