We would like to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS.
For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information for Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice pages.
Guidance for Young People using the EHC Hub for a Review
This guidance is also available as a downloadable document
What is the purpose of an EHCP Review?
To bring together your views, and those involved in helping you;
• To consider your progress towards the outcomes in the EHCP;
• To consider if any changes need to be made to the EHCP and in some cases if it is still required.
How often will an EHCP be reviewed?
The local authority must review an EHCP at least once within every 12-month period. We ask schools to arrange a review meeting, which should take place ten months after we send out the first EHCP. The school, college or other provider usually arranges and leads the Annual Review meeting. A review may take place sooner than 12 months if your child/young person is transferring to a new school or college or there has been a significant change in their health, care or educational needs which will affect the support they require.
What is a significant change?
As you grow and develop, we would expect small changes which affect how your school or college supports you. However, if there are changes in the following areas which affect your education, we may need to amend the plan:
• Health needs;
• Social Care needs;
• Your Educational progress
• The support is no longer suitable;
• The support is no longer required.
If you think there has been a significant change, please talk to your school or education provider about having a review.
- Invitation to the Review
Here is a short video on using the EHC Hub to accept an invite to a meeting
When will I know about the review meeting?
At least 2 weeks’ notice must be given to all invitees.
However, we hope that in most circumstances you will be given a lot more. We recommend to Meeting organisers (usually the schools SENDCO) to give at least a terms notice or around 16 weeks. This allows professionals time to plan their attendance or consider how they can contribute to the review if they can’t attend.
You will be asked to provide your views ahead of the meeting.
Who will attend?
On the invite you will be able to see who has currently been invited to attend.
This will include representatives from Education, Health, Social Care and school or setting.
If you would like to have others invited who do not appear on the list, please contact the meeting organiser
- Confirm attendance or speak with the meeting organiser if the date is unsuitable
- Make the meeting organiser aware of any special requirements such as access to the building
- Consider if there any professionals involved that the organiser has not invited but should be asked to contribute
- Contact Devon Information support and Advice (DiAS) if you would like any support in preparing for the meeting TEL:01392 383080 EMAIL: email@example.com
Or visit www.devonias.org.uk
- How to contribute your views
Here is a short video on using the EHC Hub to contribute your views
What information will I be asked for before the meeting?
Ahead of the scheduled EHCP Review meeting, the meeting organiser will request you to share your views. They may also ask for the views of you parent or carers. They will ask if you feel that progress is being made towards the outcomes set out in the current EHC Plan.
The EHC hub will prompt you to answer the following questions
- Do you feel that progress is being made towards some or all of the outcomes set out in the EHC Plan?
- What do you feel has been working well?
- What do you feel is not working well and would like to be different?
These will be used in the final report
It will also ask for:
- Important things to know about my family history
- Things that are working well at home and school
- Things that are not working well and would like to change
- My hopes and aspiration for the future
- Other information I think is important
Please note these will not be used in the report but may help inform the discussion
This information can be recorded as images, video or text and uploaded to the hub.
If you need any help contributing your views you can contact DiAS for support
TEL: 01392 383080 EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org Or visit www.devonias.org.uk
What will be shared before the meeting?
In preparation for the meeting, the organiser will also request the views of all involved professionals, teams or organisations as well as gather any updated information, reports or assessments.
All information gathered will be shared with all those invited to the meeting 2 weeks before.
- The Meeting
Before the meeting
The organizer will make note of those in attendance and share any apologies that have been received. They will also share any new information or reports that have not been previously shared.
During the Meeting
All those in attendance will discuss:
- Your views, feelings and wishes.
- Your progress towards the outcomes and whether they are still appropriate
- What provision is required to help you prepare for adulthood and independent living
- Your right to a personal budget
They will review
- Any interim targets set by the early year’s provider, school or college or other education provider
- Set new interim targets for the coming year and, where appropriate, agree new outcomes
- Any arrangements for direct payments
The meeting chair should ensure that the views on you are currently progressing towards each outcome, as well as any recommendations for changes/ amendments to the EHC Plan are accurately recorded
- The Report
Within 2 weeks of the meeting you will receive the meeting report
This will also be shared with anyone who was invited to the meeting
The report is a result of the discussions held at the review meeting
and the views/ information provided ahead of that meeting
- Each section of the report includes a view on how your child or young person is currently progressing towards each outcome, as well as any recommendations for changes/ amendments to the EHC Plan
- The Local Authority will consider the contents of the report and any supporting documentation/ evidence and will publish their decision on whether the EHC Plan needs to be amended, ceased or maintained in its current form until the next annual review
- The Decision
Within 4 weeks of the meeting taking place
the Local Authority will decide to
- Keep the current EHC Plan as it is
- Amend the EHC Plan
- Cease to maintain the EHC Plan
They will also include a brief reason for their decision
Keep the current EHC Plan as it is
The plan will continue to be maintained and will be reviewed within 12 months of the review being concluded
Amend the EHC Plan
If the plan needs to be amended, the local authority should start the process of amendment without delay. They will share a copy of the amended plan and you will have 15 days to comment on the proposed changes.
Cease to maintain the EHC Plan
The local authority will cease a plan if:
- The review evidences that the outcomes have been met
- You are moving to higher education or employment
- System Support
- Email : email@example.com
- Telephone : 01392 380434 (Option 2)
- Phone lines will be open 10-12 and 2-4 weekdays