Growth Support Kickstart Grant Scheme – Information and Guidance
What is the Growth Support Kickstart Grant Scheme?
This Growth Support Kickstart Grant scheme has been designed to support organisations to recover from the impacts of COVID 19 and is open to enterprises who meet all criteria to receive European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) funding. Funding has been split into two Funding Pots.
- £336,314 has been made available to the Tourism Sector
- £411,050 has been made available to the Non-Tourism Sector.
You do not need to specify which grant allocation you are applying to. If you declare yourself as working within the Tourism Sector any grant award will be allocated from the Tourism Sector allocation similarly if you declare yourself as working in the Non-Tourism Sector any grant award will allocated from the Non-Tourism allocation.
The Growth Support Kickstart Grant Scheme is additional support offered by the ERDF Growth Support Programme (GSP).
The Growth Support began in 2017 and provides a free 12-hour support session for ERDF eligible businesses. GSP offers the following support modules.
- Business Planning
We realise that some business will require different or additional support to that listed above as they work hard to recover from the impacts of COVID 19. Therefore, the Growth Support Kickstart Grant Scheme will enable eligible businesses to apply for funding to obtain specialist support to assist their business recovery. The Grant can also be used to purchase small items that are needed if part of your Recovery Plan is to adapt existing technology or to adopt new technology.
Please consider whether other support options are available and possibly more suited to your business’s recovery. Advice is available from the Heart of the South West Growth Hub email; email@example.com or telephone 03456 047 047. The Heart of the Southwest Growth Hub can provide information and advice on all available support.
How much can I apply for?
Grants are 100% of your eligible costs and you can apply for between £1000 and £ 3000.
What can I use the money for?
- • Special Consultancy
- Minor items that are an adoption of new technology that support the day to day running of the organisation.
- Minor items that are an adaption of existing technology that supports the day to day running of the organisation
A Growth Support Kickstart Grant Scheme grant cannot be used to:
- Support businesses with working capital
- Support businesses to fund the payment of wages;
- Purchase of equipment and consumables associated with PPE and social distancing measures;
- Activities which would contradict, duplicate or undermine HM Government domestic initiatives;
- Capital items.
What should I do before I apply?
Check you are eligible
If you can answer yes to all the below then you are eligible.
- Is your business located in Devon, Plymouth, Torbay or Somerset? (If you are not sure of your location please visit https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council/ This tool will allow for you to confirm that you are eligible to receive funding by confirming your local council)
- Does your enterprise employ fewer than 250 employees?
- Is your annual turnover less than €50 Million or is your balance sheet total less than €43Million?
- Your enterprise must be less than 25% owned by another company or combination of companies.
- Has your enterprise received less than €200,000 in State Aid in the last three years?
- For the Tourism Sector your enterprise should be classified under one of the below Standard Industry Classification (SIC) codes. (If your Tourism enterprise is registered with HMRC only and you operate as Self Employed / Sole Trader, does the description of your business activity identify with one of the below descriptions.
|49.1||Passenger rail transport, interurban||Railway passenger transport services|
|49.32||Taxi operation||Road passenger transport services|
|49.39||Other passenger land transport N.E.C.||Road passenger transport services|
|50.1||Sea and costal passenger water transport||Water passenger transport services|
|50.3||Inland passenger water transport||Water passenger transport services|
|51.1||Passenger air transport||Air passenger transport services|
|55.1||Accommodation||Accommodation services for visitors|
|55.2||Accommodation||Accommodation services for visitors|
|55.3||Accommodation||Accommodation services for visitors|
|55.9||Accommodation||Accommodation services for visitors|
|56.1||Food and beverage service activities||Food and beverage serving activities|
|56.21||Food and beverage service activities||Food and beverage serving activities|
|56.29||Food and beverage service activities||Food and beverage serving activities|
|56.3||Food and beverage service activities||Food and beverage serving activities|
|68.2||Renting and operating of own or leased real estate||Exhibitions & Conferences etc|
|77.11||Renting and leasing of cars and light motor vehicles||Transport equipment rental services|
|77.21||Renting and leasing of recreational and sports goods||Sport and recreation activities|
|77.34||Renting and leasing of water transport equipment||Transport equipment rental services|
|77.35||Renting and leasing of air transport equipment||Transport equipment rental services|
|79.11||Travel agency and tour operator activities||Travel agencies & other reservation services|
|79.12||Travel agency and tour operator activities||Travel agencies & other reservation services|
|79.9||Other reservation service and related activities||Travel agencies & other reservation services|
|82.3||Organisation of conventions and trade shows||Exhibitions & Conferences etc|
|90.01||Performing arts||Cultural activities|
|90.02||Support activities to performing arts||Cultural activities|
|90.03||Artistic creation||Cultural activities|
|90.04||Operation of arts facilities||Cultural activities|
|91.02||Museum activities||Cultural activities|
|91.03||Operation of historical sites and buildings and similar visitor attractions||Cultural activities|
|91.04||Botanical and zoological gardens and nature reserve activities||Cultural activities|
|92||Gambling and betting activities||Sport and recreation activities|
|93.11||Operation of sports facilities||Sport and recreation activities|
|93.19||Other sports activities||Sport and recreation activities|
|93.21||Activities of amusement parks and theme parks||Sport and recreation activities|
|93.29||Other amusement and recreation activities||Sport and recreation activities|
If you have questions regarding eligibility, please email Support.BSI@devon.gov.uk
We cannot accept applications from businesses who operate in the following sectors:
- Fisheries and aquaculture
- Processing and marketing of agricultural products
- Schools/school age educational establishments
- Insurance companies
- Primary production, Coal or steel, Synthetic Fibres
As the Growth Support Kickstart Grant can be used to purchase goods and or services you must include quotations for the items you intend to purchase. It is essential that this action is taken before you apply as you will be asked to provide evidence to support the amount you are applying for.
Prepare your responses to questions 1 -12 the information needed here is about your enterprise, address, telephone number etc but you will need to have your Company Registration information and VAT information (if applicable).
Prepare your response to questions 13 – 21 by collating the information required; which is:
- Last recorded annual turnover, as per most recently audited accounts
- Estimated Turnover for this Trading period
- Current Turnover
- For enterprises who operate in the Tourism sector you must include what percentage of your business activity relies upon the Visitor Economy.
- Number of employees as at 31 December 2020
- Number of employees who are currently active
- Number of employees who are fully furloughed or part furloughed.
- Number of jobs at risk (if any) prior to receiving support.
- Number of jobs to be created as a result of the activity you propose in this application to support your business recovery.
Prepare your response to question 24 by collating the information needed.
Grant awards under the Growth Support Kickstart Grant Scheme are awarded under the Covid-19 Temporary Framework. Please provide information on all State Aid received. The framework allows for a maximum of €800,000 of aid to be provided in the form of direct Grants, Repayable advances or tax advantages.
As part of the eligibility assessment you must declare how much Public Funding has been provided to your enterprise in the last three years.
Prepare your response to question number 22 Section 3. Tell us about how your business was impacted. It could have been impacted by one of or all the following: • Cashflow issues due to a reduction in sales, late payment from customers, increased supplier costs.
- Staff, are your staff furloughed
- Social Distancing measures
- Temporary closures due to Government lockdown
Prepare your response to question number 23 Section 3. Within your response you should include how you are currently addressing the Impacts of COVID 19.
- What have you done so already?
- What other Financial support have you received, this could be State Aid, Business Loans, Family Loans.
- How will a Growth Support Kickstart Grant assist?
- What would you do impact on your plans if you do not receive a Growth Support Kickstart Grant?
Gather information and prepare evidence in order to respond to question 24, as the Growth Support Kickstart Grant can be used to purchase goods and or services you must have this information in advance of your application and you must include quotations for the items you intend to purchase.
It is essential that this action is taken before you apply as you will be asked to provide evidence to support the amount you are applying for.
Acceptable evidence can be a written quotation which must include:
- The suppliers name, address and contact information supplied on a letterhead or if an email the email should be from the supplier’s business email address and contain the businesses contact details in company signature)
- Clear details of the service/ activity/goods that will be provided and clearly broken-down costs.
- Be dated recently
- Confirm that the activities can be delivered within 90 days of a Grant Application being approved.
- For goods details of the availability of the item should be provided.
Screenshots of online catalogues which must should clearly show:
- The item
- The web address of the item
- The date that the screen shot was captured.
The Growth Support Kickstart Grant Scheme Grant awards under this scheme are awarded under the Covid-19 Temporary Framework. Please provide information on all State Aid received. The framework allows for a maximum of €800,000 of aid to be provided in the form of direct Grants, Repayable advances, to assess your eligibility to receive State Aid we need to know what Public Funding has been received by your organisation in the last three years. If you are not sure please enter all Public Funding received.
What should I do before I complete the application?
Make sure you have collated all the necessary information as detailed above. Most questions are self – explanatory and where possible information has been shown in italics advising / reiterating what information you should provide.
How do I submit my application?
Applications can be submitted online.
Kickstart grant webpage
A paper version will be available to download when scheme opens applications.
What happens after I submit by application?
Applications will be reviewed for completeness if all the required information has been provided, they will then be assessed, we aim to notify of an award and issue a Grant Funding agreement within 14 days of receiving the application. We will continue to process applications until the funding allocations are fully committed as soon as this happens, we will close for applications.
If you do not answer all applicable questions or do not provide supporting information, then your application will be rejected. We will tell you what has led to the rejection and ask you to resubmit with the information that was omitted from the original submission.
We anticipate that demand for Grants will be high, so we are operating on a first come first served basis. If your application is complete and in order then you the application will be progressed, the most likely outcome is that an award will be made, if your application is not complete then as stated above it will be rejected and you will be asked to re-submit, effectively joining the back of the application queue,
How your data will be processed.
Who will collect your data? Devon County Council (DCC) will act as a “data controller” for any personal data that you provide to us. As such, we will ensure that the data give us is processed in line with our organisation’s Data Protection Policies and in line with your rights under the Data Protection Act 2017 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations.
Growth Support Kickstart Scheme – Privacy Notice
Who will we share your personal data with? To deliver services to you, it is necessary for us to share your personal data with the Growth Support Programme (managed and run by Devon County Council) As the Growth Support Kickstart Grant Scheme is 100% funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), DCC is required to share your personal data with the Ministry of Housing, Communities, and Local Government (MHCLG).
MHCLG Privacy Notice