If you are in immediate danger call 999 now.
If you would like to talk to someone, call the Devon Domestic Violence Helpline on 0345 155 1074
Types of Abuse
Violence against women and girls includes a range of violent and abusive behaviour, including:
• Domestic Violence
• Forced Marriage
• Dowry Abuse
• Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (female circumcision)
• Honour Based Violence – crime in the name of honour
• Sexual Violence
• Sexual Assault
• Stalking and Harassment
It is important to realise that you are not to blame and you do not have to put up with it. No one deserves to be assaulted, abused or humiliated, least of all by their family or partner.
Help and Support
We know how difficult it can be to leave an abusive relationship; overcoming cultural or religious pressures from family and community members, and concerns over your immigration status and access to support. You should not be afraid to ask for help.
There are many different agencies you can call depending on the help you need. If you are in immediate danger you should always call 999 – don’t put yourself, or your family at risk. If you would like to talk to someone, call the Devon Domestic Violence Helpline on 0345 155 1074.
If you are unable to speak English, most statutory agencies will be able to provide you with an independent interpreter. If you are concerned that the interpreter will tell your family about you, you can ask for a different interpreter.
Devon commissions support services from
The Devon Domestic Violence Support Service provided by SPLITZ Support Service offers support for men and women across Devon including Outreach, accommodation support and perpetrator help. Download their leaflet.
Referrals can be made directly by individuals or by agencies on behalf of their clients by calling 0345 155 1074 or by secure email at email@example.com
Additional charities and organisations offering support within Devon
- Stop Abuse for Everyone (SAFE) – Domestic Violence support in Exeter, East and Mid Devon. For enquiries for SAFE services please call 030 30 30 0112
- North Devon Against Domestic Abuse (NDADA) – Domestic Violence support in North Devon and Torridge. For confidential support and information call 01271 321946
Apart from when reporting to Devon and Cornwall Police, you are not obliged to give your name or contact details to any agency. It may, however, prove difficult for them to support you without this information.
Specialist Support Lines
- National Women’s Aid – 0808 2000 247
For women experiencing domestic violence
- Rape Crisis (England and Wales) 0808 802 9999 www.rapecrisis.org.uk
- Forced Marriage Unit – 0207 008 0151 www.fco.gov.uk/forcedmarriage
- Foundation for Women’s Health Research and Development (FORWARD) – 020 8960 4000 www.forwarduk.org.uk – FGM support
- Samaritans – 08457 909090
For emotional support in a crisis
- Shelterline – 0808 800 4444
National Housing Advice Line
- Childline – 0800 1111
For children/young people in distress