If you are in immediate danger call 999 now. If you would like to talk to someone, call the Devon Domestic Violence Helpline on 0345 155 1074 Domestic abuse affects 1 in 4 lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
Signs of domestic abuse
You may experience one, several, or all of the signs of domestic abuse. Remember, even if you feel you only experience one on a regular basis, this can still be domestic abuse and you can get help.
Ask yourself some of the following questions:
- Are you ever afraid of your partner?
- Do you feel like you’re walking on egg shells around your partner?
- Does your partner ever threaten to ‘out’ you to your friends, family or colleagues?
- Do they act in a negative way about your sexual orientation or gender identity?
- Do they ever tell you you’re not a real lesbian, gay or bisexual person?
- Do they ever tell you you’re not a real man or woman?
- Do they ever hit you or threaten to hit you?
- Do they ridicule you and/or make comments about your body?
- Are you ever forced to have sex or engage in sexual acts that you don’t want to do?
- Do they ever prevent you from engaging with the LGBT ‘scene’?
- Do they control your finances or check up on what you spend your money on?
Help and Support
If you are frightened or worried about the way your partner or ex-partner is treating you, you do not have to put up with it. No one deserves to be abused and there is support for anyone who needs help.
Devon Domestic Violence and Abuse Support Service (provided by SPLITZ)
Domestic Violence support across Devon including Outreach, accommodation support and perpetrator work. Referrals can be made on 0345 155 1074.
Broken Rainbow is a UK-wide service, staffed by LGBT people, offering support to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender victims and survivors of domestic violence and abuse.
- Mondays and Thursdays 2pm–8pm, Wednesdays 10am–1pm
- Tel: 0300 999 5428
- Website: www.brokenrainbow.org.uk
Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people and communities in the south west
- Tel: 0845 60 20 818
- Website: www.intercomtrust.org.uk