Skip to content

Travel and public transport

Last Updated 12:06pm, 11 June 2020


Information about coronavirus is available in different formats and languages, including easy read, BSL and for people who are not online.

Public transport

The government have published advice on using public transport and also this useful infographic on steps to take during your journey.

Guidance is also available for staff in the transport sector. You may want to download and display a poster about correct hand-washing technique.

Changes to timetables

Bus operators

With all bus operators, the situation day-to-day is dependent on staff availability and may change quickly.

If a journey is of critical importance, for example, for a key worker, we recommend that you check with the operator concerned.

Find out more on the latest updates to timetable changes for bus operators in Devon.

Train operators

For further travel advice please visit GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19): what you need to do.

Using your National Bus Pass

Ending the early use of National Bus Passes in Devon – For the past few weeks National Bus Pass holders in the Devon County Council area have been able to use their Bus Pass for free travel on local services at any time of day. However, with more people now returning to work, and a reduced capacity on buses due to social distancing, we now need to ensure there is capacity for people who are travelling to work on the bus. Therefore the last day you will be able to use your National Bus Pass before 09.30 am on weekdays is Friday 5 June 2020.

Travel with the National Bus Pass will revert to the standard operating times from Saturday 6 June 2020. From that date the National Bus Pass can be used for unlimited travel during weekends and Bank Holidays, and from 09.30 am until the end of service on weekdays.

Any passengers experiencing issues or problems using their Bus Pass should call 01392 383000 and ask for Concessionary Travel or email

What to do if you become unwell on public transport

  1. Go back to your home or place of residence immediately
  2. Try to avoid close contact with other people and touch objects and surfaces as little as possible
  3. Phone the NHS 111 online Coronavirus service to find out what to do next


Temporary changes to on-street parking restrictions

On-street parking enforcement patrols were temporarily relaxed by Devon County Council on Monday 23 March.

However, as some lockdown restrictions were lifted, our enforcement activity has gradually returned to normal enforcement levels.

From week commencing 18 May, we recommenced enforcement of on-street pay and display spaces and limited waiting spaces. At this stage only warning notices, rather than penalty charge notices (PCNs) were issued to anyone flouting parking regulations.

Officers were initially deployed to areas where issues with increasing numbers of visitors have been raised by communities, police and local county council members.

From week commencing 25 May “live” enforcement started with PCNs being issued to any vehicle found contravening a restriction. This included returning to residential areas and enforcing vehicles not displaying a valid residents parking permit for that zone.

From 15 June, as more businesses start to re-open and more people return to work, enforcement officers will increase the number of visits to all areas accordingly, in order to meet these needs of businesses and residents in our communities across the county.

More visits will be made to resident permit-only areas, especially those close to commercial areas, and a PCN will be issued to any vehicle not displaying a permit for that zone.

We are still operating with a reduced workforce and observing official social distancing guidelines.

Officers deployment will focus on areas where issues arising from increasing numbers of visitors have been raised by communities, police and local county council members.

We are enforcing:

  • all areas of yellow lines
  • on-street pay and display spaces
  • loading bays
  • disabled spaces and limited waiting spaces
  • resident permit zones

Customers needing to use our pay and display areas are asked to adhere to social distancing guidelines and are encouraged to pay for parking ‘hands free’ using the Phone and Pay app.

Anyone needing to pay by cash is asked to ensure they use hand sanitiser before and after using the parking machine to minimise their risk of catching or spreading the virus.

Any resident still required to work from home with additional vehicles above their allowed 2 permit allowance is asked to contact the parking services team to discuss their circumstances. Please email

Concessions for care and health worker permit holders remain in place until Tuesday 30 June.

More information can be found in our news centre article about these changes.

Frequently asked questions

Parking at home

I have been asked to homework meaning that I need to park an additional vehicle in the residents’ parking area near my home. I cannot buy another permit as I already have 2, what can I do?

It is essential that government guidance is followed on home working.

If your household has used its allocation of permits and would need an extra permit as you have no alternative at all to park your vehicle, please email to tell us about your circumstances and need for a temporary permit.

You will be required to provide additional evidence of car ownership or insurance documents showing your address for any additional temporary permits you may need. Ideally, provide a supporting letter from your employer with your emailed request.

I still cannot leave the house to move my car because I need to self-isolate because I/one of my household has symptoms or I’m shielding. My car is currently parked in an area of limited waiting/pay and display, what can I do?

If you have parking concerns in relation to the need to self-isolate, or ongoing shielding with a family member we will provide assistance wherever possible, please email and tell us about your circumstances and need for a temporary permit.

I am still anxious about going outside and moving my car and don’t have a parking permit, what can I do?

If you received the government letter telling you to self-isolate for 12 weeks, and you have concerns about a full return to normal life and using your car, please email us and tell us about your circumstances. It will be helpful to speed up the process of issuing a temporary permit to see a copy or photo of any letters or documents attached to your application email.

If approved, a temporary permit will be emailed to the email address you provide unless you tell us to post one to you. You will need to be able to print off a temporary permit and place on your dashboard.

The residents’ parking near my home is full, can I park on the yellow line ‘no waiting’ restrictions?

No, they are there for a reason and must be kept clear to allow access by emergency vehicles, care workers, food delivery and refuse collection vehicles.

My residents’ parking permit is about to expire, do I need to buy a new one?

Yes you do. We will be enforcing as normal again from 1 July.

Any resident displaying an expired permit or one expiring before the end of June can still rely on it until the 30 June. Please allow 5 days for a new permit to arrive by post.

If your permit has expired, you should go online now to buy a new permit rather than renew and set the start date of that permit to 1 July. This ensures you have a valid permit when the service is expected to return to normal levels of enforcement activity and is an opportunity to refresh your permit records details.

Reminder letters to permit holders with permits that expired during lockdown or expiring this month are currently being sent out to all permit holders.

I have a Blue Badge but have been unable to renew it due to not being able to complete the application, will I get a parking ticket if I use it?

We are affording additional discretion for Blue Badge holders whose permits have expired after 1 January 2020 as we know some other local authorities may be behind with processing applications.

If you have a Badge that has expired you should submit a new application now at

Parking to shop

I need to go to the supermarket, where can I park?

If there isn’t a supermarket car park to use, you can park in any on-street pay and display space or limited waiting space.

Normal charges now apply. See machine tariff cards for charges and details of how to pay by phone.

In Limited waiting you must abide with the allowed period of parking at that location.

Concessions for care and health worker permit holders apply until 30 June whilst you are on duty nearby.

Parking whilst working as a care or health or support worker

How are you helping care and health workers deliver their services in the community?

Care and health workers already benefit from our existing parking exemption scheme. Those care workers holding a ‘timeclock’ issued by the authority can continue to park in areas of limited waiting, residents’ parking areas, on-street pay and display without time restriction.

On single and double yellow line ‘no waiting’ restrictions we have extended the time permit from 1 hour to 2 hours.

Please do continue to display your time clock and park safely without causing an obstruction.

If you are a care or health worker that has not been issued a ‘timeclock’ by your employer, as a short-term alternative a permit can be printed off for use in limited waiting, residents’ parking areas, on-street pay and display, but not on single or double yellow lines. Download and print your permit here which you can use until 30 August.

I am a new volunteer or personal assistant, I do not have a care and health worker timeclock, is there anything you can do to help me?

Please visit our exemptions for care and health workers web page for further information.

If you cannot find the information that relates to your service, please email your enquiry to and we will see what we can do to assist you.

I need to park in a pay and display bay to visit my client, do I need to pay?

No, as long as you have one of the Council issued car and health worker time clock permits, or an NHS issued permit. These are the only permits which will be accepted in lieu of payment for parking on-street.

Temporary key worker permits issued by us can be used up to the 30 June when they expire.

NHS staff are encouraged to visit

How are you helping hospitals and health centres? The car parks are full and key workers are struggling to park.

We are working closely with the RD&E Trust and the city and district councils and have issued temporary permits for key workers to park in surrounding streets in areas of limited waiting, resident parking areas, and on-street pay and display or in nearby Council operated car parks.

We will continue to work with health and care providers to identify strategic sites where further support is needed for staff to park.

I am a health and care worker I am worried about getting a penalty charge notice.

Whilst we have provided permits exempting workers from many of our parking restrictions, we understand that parking may still be problematic.

If a penalty charge notice is issued, whilst you were delivering essential care this to a client or patient, this will be waived at appeal upon confirmation that you were undertaking duties at that time as a key care or health worker.

Please do park legally and safely wherever possible.

Parking whilst working as a key worker

I am a key worker where can I park?

During the pandemic, many roles were identified as being ‘key workers’ and employers issued letters to staff supporting the person’s key worker status for travel purposes.

All are undertaking important roles, but not all roles are directly responsible for providing essential care and medical support.

We are unable to offer on-street parking concessions to all key worker letter holders and are focusing assistance to those who deliver medical care and support.

Off-street parking

I cannot find a parking place near my home or place of work, can I park in the district council car park and do I still need to pay?

We would recommend looking at your local council web page for the latest information on their car parks opening hours and whether charges have been re-introduced.

Dealing with appeals

I’ve received a penalty charge notice and I’m concerned that I will not have time due to additional time pressures currently to send in an appeal?

The Processing Team are affording extra time and making additional allowances when considering appeal and reaching our decision and are re-offering the chance to pay at the reduced charge in most cases.  Please explain in your appeal why you may have been prevented from submitting an appeal on time.

I currently owe money for a penalty charge notice (PCN) but I am unable to work at this time and will struggle to pay it.  I am concerned about a visit from debt enforcement agents.

Please make contact in writing either by letter or email to to tell us about your current circumstances.

If you can, please provide some evidence of your financial hardship with your correspondence.

Whilst we cannot offer payment plans, we may be able to defer payment for those who could pay if given a bit more extra time or may be able to reduce the amount for those who could pay off a fine if allowed to at the discounted amount.

I have received a letter from a debt enforcement agent about an outstanding PCN and I am concerned about a visit by an agent.

We have suspended enforcement action of all cases with enforcement agents and are not currently registering any new cases as debts with the court.

Anyone who has been previously contacted by bailiffs about an outstanding PCN and who has concerns about being able to pay the amount owed, should speak with the relevant debt enforcement company, Jacobs or Ross & Roberts about your personal circumstances. They may be able to offer a sustainable payment plan.

Alternatively, seek independent financial advice.

We will be reviewing all remaining outstanding cases with a view to recommencing the debt recovery phases after 1 July.