Last Updated 5:04pm, 3 November 2020
Devon County Council has temporarily re-opened the COVID-19 Fund to provide flexible resources to organisations working with communities who are disproportionately impacted by coronavirus and the social and economic consequences of the second national lockdown.
Applications will open on 9 November 2020 and will close on 2 December 2020.
Applications will need to include details of how much funding will be required and how you have assessed the need for that amount. Grants will typically be between £300 and £700, although in exceptional circumstances we may make offers of up to £1,000. We will require a report on how the money was spent and benefits to the community on completion of your project.
DCC buildings are currently closed and most staff are working from home so applications must be submitted online.
We aim to process applications as speedily as is possible. We may need to contact you for further information. You will receive an email informing you whether your application has been successful or not, so please try to avoid contacting the team ahead of this.
What is the COVID-19 Fund?
While our healthcare systems, public health practitioners, and local and national government are doing everything in their power to slow the spread of coronavirus, our voluntary and community sector organisations and local communities are also assisting those most vulnerable during this unprecedented time.
Through the COVID-19 Fund, DCC will provide small amounts of grant funding to community-led schemes, which identify and/or achieve the small but important things that can safely address some of the issues that are arising because of this further lockdown and in particular measures to support those who are clinically extremely vulnerable.
These can include:
- safe deliveries of essential goods and services to those who are vulnerable, such as foods and medicines
- support for accessing online information and services
- measures to help people to stay connected and informed and to maintain and support mental health and wellbeing
- transport-related initiatives that support safe community responses to the outbreak
Who can apply?
Applications are accepted from constituted and not-for-private-profit voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector groups and organisations, town and parish councils, charities or businesses, or a combination of such groups working together.
Please read part (a) of our guidance for more details.
How to apply
Please ensure that you have read and understood the guidance and what this funding can be used for.
Summaries of your project will suffice as there are word number limitations but do include the key information of how your project meets the purpose of this grant fund and how you have identified the size of the grant you require.
Application terms and conditions
- I am authorised to sign on behalf of the above-named organisation and that any funding will be used to benefit the community in line with the priorities of the COVID-19 Fund and will only be used for the purposes specified in the application.
- This COVID-19 grant will be used before 31 March 2021 and any unspent/uncommitted monies will be returned to Devon County Council promptly; without proof of purchase or commitment.
- That I/we will provide Devon County Council with a statement of how the funding has benefited the organisation/local community.
- That I/we acknowledge and understand that approval of any grant relating to this application does not commit the County Council to ongoing funding.
Help and support
If you are uncertain about how to apply please contact COVID19FUND@devon.gov.uk and mark your email SUPPORT in the subject line.
(a) Non-constituted groups without their own, separate bank account, small local businesses and individuals may apply but they will need to do so with the support of an accountable constituted organisation acting on their behalf as sponsor/guarantor and as the recipient of the grant. If you fall into this category, organisations that DCC would accept as guarantor or fund holder include:
- town or parish councils
- local community and voluntary services organisation (CVS)
- village hall
- another constituted local voluntary group that qualifies
If you are uncertain how to do this then please contact COVID19FUND@devon.gov.uk and mark your email SUPPORT in the subject line.
(b) If you are successful in getting funding for your idea/initiative, we will ask you for some feedback on how your project went within 3 months of the project being completed, and then again later if requested. We will require:
- details of how many people benefited from the project
- copies of invoices and receipts relating to the DCC grant provided
- details of the amount of any other match funding you received towards the project
Terms and conditions
Full details of the specific DCC terms and conditions relating to these grant schemes form part of the application process and require projects to accept them before any funds are released. However, there are some generic conditions which apply to all the grant schemes, which your group/organisation project needs to be aware of.
- You must confirm on the application that your project meets the respective eligibility criteria. The grant can only be used for the purposes specified in the application.
- Project applicants must confirm the project serves communities within the DCC administrative area of Devon, with at least 75% of the people benefiting from the project living in that area.
- There is no automatic right to a grant, DCC will consider all applications and decide on the applications it wishes to grant fund, seeking to distribute funding in an even-handed way across the entire area of Devon it administers. DCC reserves the right not to make a funding offer to a project.
- Grants will be awarded where they are deemed to be most needed and where they would have the greatest impact and outcomes.
- Grants will be awarded on a one-off basis. Any grant relating to an application does not commit the County Council to ongoing future funding.
- Applicants must accept in writing (an email or online application will suffice) the associated DCC terms and conditions before any grants can be released.
- We would expect funds to cover, and be used, during the period of the Coronavirus emergency. This funding is not for on-going or non-Coronavirus response related activities.
- An evaluation of how the funding has benefited the organisation/local community will be provided; in line with the relevant terms and conditions applying. This can include invoices and you may want to submit GDPR compliant photos or videos.
- Any DCC grant-funded projects will clearly acknowledge, in any related publicity materials the Fund Scheme as a DCC initiative.
- DCC grant-funded projects accept that DCC will issue publicity about projects and activities that it supports, so may use such projects within its publicity materials and as promotional case studies and may wish the project to evaluate further its project work and outcomes. Publicity may include digital images, video and other content you have provided if you have confirmed them to be GDPR compliant.
- Repayment of DCC grant funds may be required at the sole discretion of Devon County Council if a funded project supplies false information, fails to spend the money in any allotted time period, fails to return evaluation materials within the agreed time period, becomes insolvent and/or there are any other breaches of the conditions or eligibility criteria.
- DCC may request additional information and assurances; requiring additional terms and conditions to apply and will require you to confirm in writing your acceptance of any additional terms and conditions before agreeing to provide DCC grant funding. Acceptance can be in the form of an email from the charity/organisation’s contact email address provided on the application form.