Many people with a disability and their families may be able to claim for additional financial support to help them with everyday life expenses. To find out more about what you may be able to apply for, start by looking at the government’s disability benefits and financial help pages.
There are also a number of places you can find further advice and information, including:
- Contact a Family – has lots of useful information about claiming benefits and tax credits
- Disability Rights – has information about benefit and pension rates for different situations
- Scope – has information about the types of benefits available
Mencap website also has a number of easy read guides on cost of living concerns and benefits.
For people with a sensory impairment – find out more about how the Devon Sensory Disability Service can offer more specialist support and guidance. You can also register for a disability registration card to receive further benefits.
Visit the government website GOV.UK for information on benefits you may be entitled to:
- benefits and financial support if you’re looking for work
- benefits and financial support if you’re temporarily unable to work
- benefits and financial support for families
- benefits and financial support if you’re disabled or have a health condition
- benefits and financial support if you’re caring for someone
- benefits and financial support if you’re on a low income
- benefits and financial support when someone dies
You can also manage an existing benefit or claim.
If you want some independent advice on benefits you can contact Citizens Advice Devon. Their website has a wealth of information and advice on benefits and you can use their benefit calculator tool. Alternatively you can ring their Advice Line: 0808 278 7820.