I would like to request the following information under the Freedom of Information Act:
1. How many street lights is your local authority responsible for in total?
2. How many street lights are switched off all night within your local authority area?
3. How many street lights are switched off for a period of time during the night within your local authority area?
4. How many street lights are dimmed during the night within your local authority area?
5. Is your council planning to switch off or dim street lights in the future?
No to Switching off ALL NIGHT and Yes to further expansion of Dimming strategy.
6. How many street lights were switched off and dimmed in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 (to date)?
No street lights have been switched off all night. From 2008 to 2017 DCC has gradually converted all residential street lights to Part Night (5 Hour saving) but since 2016 all new installs of all night street lights are dimmed overnight.
To establish exact numbers of the conversions and the installations would require a review of each of the 50,000 street lights in Devon referred to in question 3. This would take at least 10 minutes per light, assuming the information is still available for each light, and the work would therefore take in excess of 8,000 hours. This is in excess of the appropriate time limit and this information is therefore exempt from disclosure pursuant to s. 12 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.