1. How many road bridges are you responsible for maintaining? – 2,717
2. For the last financial year (2018/19), how many Principal Inspections have taken place? – 74
3. For the last financial year (2018/19), how many General Inspections have taken place? – 1055
4. For the last financial year (2018/19) how many Structural Reviews and/or BD21 assessments have been conducted? – 74
5. How many sub-standard (in terms of capacity) and/or weight restricted bridges do you have? – 241
6. Of these, how many do you intend to return to full load carrying capacity in the next 5 years? – 1
7. How many bridges would you return to full load carrying capacity if you had no resource restrictions? – 94
(i) How many of your bridges require Post Tensioned Special Inspections (PTSIs)? – 25
(ii) How many of those have had PTSIs within the last 18 years? – 10 (this number reflects the number of bridges that have had at least a stage 1 PTSI).
(iii) Of those that have not had a PTSI, how many require/are due one? – 15
(iv) How much funding would you anticipate is required to remove the backlog of PTSIs for those bridges identified in (iii)? – £1.8 million.
8. In monetary terms, what is the current Depreciation (i.e. difference between your GRC and DRC as declared for your WGA return for 2018/19)? – £432,219,309. This value has been extracted from our annual return for the Whole of Government Accounts (WGA). Currently this is calculated using groups of structures that do not strictly align with the criteria set out in this Freedom of Information request. Hence, it will include some accommodation bridges and structures less than 1.5m span.
9. Have you calculated your back log (or work bank) for bridges? What is the calculated value of your backlog of road bridges, or your best estimate if a calculated value is not available? We do not hold this information. This has not been calculated. The size and complexity of our inventory makes estimating this value difficult.
(i) What is the annual revenue works budget for maintaining your bridge stock? – £400,000. This figure is for all bridges and retaining walls.
(ii) What is the annual capital works budget for maintaining your bridge stock? – £8 million. This figure is for all bridges and retaining walls.
(iii) What total budget would you estimate is required to maintain the bridge stock at its current level (standstill budget)? – £8 million. This figure is for all bridges and retaining walls. From our WGA returns it appears that our BCIave (average condition score) is being maintained, but this is based on groupings which include averaging and assumptions to be made.
12 (i) How many BD97 Stage 1 Scour Assessments did you undertake in 2018/19? – 72
(ii) How many BD97 Stage 2 Scour Assessments did you undertake in 2018/19? – 2