Open all year round (except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day)
|Summer (Apr - Sep)||Winter (Oct - Mar)|
|Monday - Friday||9:00am - 5:00pm||9:00am - 4:30pm|
|Saturday and Sunday||10:00am - 6:00pm||10:00am - 4:30pm|
Waste loading/skip changes may result in this site (or part of the site) being closed for short periods throughout the day. For your own safety, please remain in your vehicle and keep your waste on board until the loading/skip exchange is completed. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
List of acceptable materials:
- Recyclable materials
- Bulky household items
e.g. Furniture, carpets, household electrical equipment
Recycling facilities available
- Glass bottles and jars
- Newspapers and magazines
- Card/Yellow Pages
- Aluminium and steel cans (including empty steel paint cans)
- Foil: clean aluminium foil only (recycled with metal)
- Garden/green waste (branches up to 250mm or 10 inches in diameter are accepted)
- Metal (including empty aerosol cans)
- Large domestic appliances, e.g. cookers, microwaves, washing machines etc
- Small domestic appliances, e.g. toasters, lawn mowers, hairdryers etc
- Spent printer cartridges
- Flat glass
- TVs / computer monitors
- Plastic bottles
- Clean mixed plastic packaging, e.g. food trays and yoghurt pots (must be washed)
- Cling film type packaging is not acceptable
- Bulky/rigid plastics (126KB - pdf help)
- DIY engine oil
- Vegetable oil
- Car batteries
- Domestic batteries
- Energy saving light bulbs (recycled with fluorescent tubes)
- DIY waste: 12 large bags/0.5 tonnes in 6 month period (EXCLUDES soil/rubble, plasterboard, asbestos, tyres - see Chargeable below)
- Household chemicals (e.g. pesticides, white spirit, bleach, oil-based paint): 5 litres in 12 months
- Gas bottles (4KB - pdf help)
- Fluorescent tubes: 5 in 6 month period
- Noxious weeds (1.78MB - pdf help)
- Soil/Rubble (including bricks, blocks, tiles, paving slabs, concrete posts, sanitary ware etc) £1.10 per bag
- Tyres £1.50 per tyre
The charges payable will be based upon the quantity of material to be deposited using the rates given as an indicative guide.
Payment for bags/sheets will be whole multiples of ‘bags’ e.g. 3 x £2 not 2.75 x £2.
A "bag" is defined as "a small, plastic sand/aggregate bag from standard DIY stores that can be safely lifted by one person".
Items such as a toilet pan, toilet cistern; sink, sink pedestal, concrete block etc will be charged as single items and the relevant ‘per bag’ rate will apply.
Loose waste/waste in trailers etc will be assessed by the site manager.
The site manager’s decision on the actual charge to be made is final.
Charges, inclusive of VAT, are payable directly to the site contractor. Payment can be made using cash or credit card (minimum transaction fee may apply. Cash only at Maclins Quarry, South Molton and Deep Moor, Torrington). Receipts will be offered.
This is a service for which payment must be made. Legal proceedings will be taken against anyone using the service or attempting to use the service without payment in full.
For further information about charging see Chargeable Waste.
- Commercial/trade waste. Trade green waste and cardboard is acceptable for a charge at certain Recycling Centres by arrangement only, see Trade Recycling for further details
- Food/putrescible/excess non-recyclable waste: not acceptable at this site. Your nearest alternative is Brunel Road Recycling Centre, Newton Abbot by arrangement only, please contact your local district/city council in the first instance
- Sharps/clinical items: please contact your local district/city council
- Animals/animal bedding
- Asbestos: chargeable at certain Recycling Centres (must be pre-booked - see Asbestos for further information)
- Plasterboard: chargeable at certain Recycling Centres - see Chargeable Waste for further information
- Fireworks, flares, explosives and ammunition - please contact your local police for advice
- Sewage/contents of drains
Due to space constraints, reusable goods are not sold back to the public at this Recycling Centre. Any reusable goods received are donated to the charity Refurnish Devon. For further information and to donate directly please call 01752 927002.
Health and Safety
All recycling centre users must adhere to the following rules when on site:-
Gloves Should Be Worn When Unloading
Wear Suitable Footwear
Avoid Lifting Heavy Weights
Children and Animals Must Remain in Vehicles
Site Speed Limit
Please See Site Staff if Disposing of Hazardous Materials
Take Care on Steps
Reasonable assistance will be provided when requested.
How to get there: Totnes Recycling Centre, Totnes TQ9 5JA
Please refer to the following directions:
From the A38 (South Brent) take the A385 into Totnes. The Recycling Centre is signposted on the first exit of the next roundabout, after passing over the railway bridge.
From Paignton take the A385 into Totnes, pass over the river via Brutus Bridge and the Recycling Centre is signposted on the fourth exit of the next roundabout.