(1.11MB - pdf help)
Tiverton owes its early growth and prosperity to the wool trade, which caused the town to grow rapidly in the 16th and 17th Centuries. Many wealthier wool merchants added to the town's heritage for example John Greenway: 1460-1529 built a chapel onto St Peter's Parish Church in 1517, and a small Chapel and Almshouses in Gold Street which still stand - and the Almshouse Trust still houses people today.
The town was the last in the Devon & Cornwall area to retain an independent police force, until 1945. In the second half of the 20th century Tiverton once again declined in prosperity, as the Heathcoat factory became ever more mechanised, and the Starkey Knight & Ford Brewery was taken over by Whitbread as its regional brewery, but later closed, becoming just a bottling plant, and then lying derelict for some years before being demolished to make way for a supermarket. The manufacturing industry on Lowman Island in the town died a lingering death, and the Globe Elastics plant in the town also closed down. During the 1990s the town underwent something of a revival and has now become a thriving town.
- The population of the Tiverton Devon Town area for 2009 is 38331
- In the last 10 years, the population has grown by 11.87%
- Claimant counts for November 2008 were approximately 270 people
- Job Seekers Allowance for the area reached 1.16% of the working age population in November 2008
- District claimant count figures for 2008 showed a claimant count of 1.42% of the working age population
- The Average income in 2008 for the Tiverton Devon Town area is £30601.31 per household
- Average house price for the area in 2007 was recorded as £229,316.36
- There were 361 year 11 pupils in this area in 2007
- 55.96% of year 11 pupils attained 5 A*-C grades at GCSE in 2007
- There are 400 year 6 pupils throughout the Tiverton Devon Town area in 2007
- 80.1% of pupils attained KS2 Level 4+ in 2007
- For statistical profiles of the Tiverton please click here