Parish Paths Partnership Scheme
Parish Paths Partnership
The Parish Paths Partnerships Scheme is an initiative to ensure that the entire rights of way network is legally defined, properly maintained and well publicised. It has the support of the National Association of Local Councils and is Devon County Council funded. The County Council was one of the first fifteen Highway Authorities to participate in this scheme, which encourages community involvement and enjoyment of public rights of way. Devon County Council is working in partnership with Parish/Town Councils, landowners and local voluntary groups. The main aim is to improve the condition of the local rights of way and keep them open and used properly.
Parish/Town Councils in the scheme receive a grant to undertake rights of way work. The grant, paid by Devon County Council, covers:
i) The mileage, based on the length of rights of way in your Parish
ii) Special projects
Path condition survey and inspection
Each year before the Parish/Town Council receives its annual grant it organises a survey -
- This is an assessment of the condition of the rights of way, in order to find out what work needs to be done.
- The survey provides the information necessary for calculation of the grant payment.
- Developments and improvements - upgrading and re-opening paths by undertaking practical work such as vegetation clearance, repairing stiles and waymarking, in consultation with farmers and landowners;
- Events - helping people to feel confident about using the network by organising, for example, guided walks and rights of way days;
This is a simple agreement which is drawn up between the County Council and the recipients of the grant, usually the Parish Council, setting out how they will work together on improving the rights of way network.
NEWS & UPDATES (updated July 2015)
The Autumn 2014 Workshops were held during October at Musbury, Parke, Kennerleigh and Beaford. Notes and presentations from the workshops can be viewed below
Newsletters and Previous Workshops
- View Newsletter (1.22MB - pdf help)
- View Workshop presentation 2014 (3.08MB - pdf help)
- View Maintenance presentation (3.90MB - pdf help)
If you are an existing Parish in the scheme and would like to apply for future funding please select the online form below.
- Works Undertaken Summary
- Expenditure Summary
- Annual Grant Form
- Guidance Notes for the Annual Grant Form (21KB - pdf help)
OTHER USEFUL PUBLICATIONS
- Community Paths: A 10 Step Guide to Improving Rights of Way (2.19MB - pdf help)
- Public Rights of Way - Advice for Users and landowners (4.48MB - pdf help)
- Ploughing and Cropping Guidance Chart for Landowners (5KB - pdf help)
For further information about the scheme you can:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone the Rights of Way Service on 0345 155 1004