Skip Navigation | Graphical Site | Access Options | Listen | Translation | Help | A to Z | Site Map

You are in: home >

Saturday 21 January 2017

Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |


Uplowman is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Cullompton Hundred. It falls within Cullompton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 360 in 1801 357 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 133 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Tiverton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the Uplowman area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 35/13,14 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 35SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is ST013155. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet ST01NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 128, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 181. Geological sheet 319 also covers the area.

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

UPLOWMAN church (St. Peter) is said to have been built c. 1500 by Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and mother of Henry VII. It was over-restored in 1864. Besides Uplowman itself, Chieflowman, Coombe, Kidwell, Murley, and Whitnage were all Domesday estates. Spalsbury Farm is a very interesting example of a 15th century Franklin's house.

Back to top 21-1-2017