Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
Talaton is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Hayridge Hundred. It falls within Ottery Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 393 in 1801 415 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 111 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Ottery St Mary Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 69/8 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 69NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SY068996. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SY09NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 030, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Talaton as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
TALATON lies in a neat, parklike landscape. The church (St. James) was rebuilt, except the tower, porch, E. wall, and vestry in 1859-60, but is still worth seeing. The W. tower is good. There are excellent wagon roofs with carved ribs and bosses, a few medieval bench-ends, and a fine 15th century screen.
Escot, first recorded in 1227, is built on the site of Sir Walter Yonge's mansion, finished c. 1688. There is a tradition that John Locke, the philosopher, often visited Yonge at Escot, and that he planted certain clumps of beeches in the park. The present house was built about 1810. Escot was formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1840. The parish church (St. Philip and St. James) was built at the cost of Sir John Kennaway in 1838.