Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
Stoke Canon is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Wonford Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 254 in 1801 383 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 78 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Pinhoe Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Stoke Canon area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 68/11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 68SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX938980. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX99NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 114, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Stoke Canon as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
STOKE CANON contains several pleasant old farmhouses and cottages, but the church (St. Mary Magdalene) was wholly rebuilt in 1836 except for the W. tower. It contains a remarkable font of Norman date, made from a single block of lava, and a number of 17th century floor slabs to local families. Stoke Canon bridge, over two arms of the Culm, was already built in the late 13th century Bishop Stapeldon left money in his will (1326) for its upkeep. It contains some old work but has been much widened to carry the main road.