Skip Navigation | Graphical Site | Access Options | Listen | Translation | Help | A to Z | Site Map

You are in: home >

Tuesday 17 January 2017

Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |


Sherford is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Coleridge Hundred. It falls within Woodleigh Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 380 in 1801 342 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 120 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Kingsbridge Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the Sherford area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 132/16 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 132SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX779442. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX74SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 20, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 202. Geological sheet 355 also covers the area.

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

SHERFORD situated in a pleasant valley, has some good groups of vernacular building. The church (St. Martin) is wholly built of Charlton Slate inside and out, even to the piers in capitals of the two arcades. The W. tower is a bold early 15th century structure, but most of the church is somewhat earlier, the unusual star shaped tracery of the aisle windows suggesting late 14th century work. The rood-screen is a fine example, with tracery of the Dartmouth and Portlemouth type and considerable traces of ancient colour.

Keynedon, Malston, and Stancombe were Domesday estates. Keynedon, in a beautiful valley running down to Frogmore creek, was the residence of the Hals family in the early 15th century John Hals (justice of the Common Pleas, 1423) lived here, and his son John (Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield 1459- 90) was born here. The early 15th century gate-tower of their house was demolished about a century ago, but much of the early Tudor house remains. Malston was the principal seat of the Reynells from Richard II's time onwards and contains some 15th century and later work.

Back to top 16-1-2017