Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
Rockbeare is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of East Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 419 in 1801 404 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £03/14/10.
A parish history file is held in Ottery St Mary Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Rockbeare area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 69/14 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 69SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SY020953. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SY09NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 030, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Rockbeare as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
ROCKBEARE Manor is a perfect Regency house--straight out of Jane Austen. The original house was built c. 1760-70 and owned by Sir John Duntze, the wealthy Exeter woollen merchant and banker. About 1820 the house was remodelled with complete simplicity and refinement, possibly by Kendall of Exeter "who gave Plymouth and Exeter so many scholarly buildings between 1820 and 1840." (Country Life19 April 1930.) Rockbeare Court, beside the church, is a plain stuccoed late Georgian mansion. The church (St. Mary) is a melancholy exhibition of"restoration": it was almost entirely rebuilt in 1888 and is devoid of interest.