Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
Farringdon is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of East Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 293 in 1801 216 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £03/19/06.
A parish history file is held in Clyst Vale & Pinhoe Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Farringdon area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 81/10 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 81SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SY018912. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SY09SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 030, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Farringdon as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
FARRINGDON (or FARINGDON) lies in pleasant, fruitful country. In Polwhele's day it was good cornland and "oak, ash, and elm grow to fine timber." Farringdon House, rebuilt in 1889 on an old site, is now an Approved School. Creely Barton was a Domesday estate. The church (St. Petrock and St. Barnabass the Apostle) was completely rebuilt in 1872. The decorated brick interior is hideous; yellow pitch-pine pews commemorate the 1887 Jubilee.