You are in: home >

Tuesday 25 November 2014

Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |

Dunterton

Dunterton is located within West Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Lifton Hundred. It falls within Tavistock Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 129 in 1801 100 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 33 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Tavistock Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the Dunterton area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 96/11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 96NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX377792. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX37NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 112, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 201. Geological sheet 337 also covers the area.

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

DUNTERTON There is a strong earthwork at Castle Head about ½ m. SSE. of the church, in the neck of a great loop of the Tamar, looking across to the earthwork of Carthamartha on the Cornish side. The date of these frontier earthworks is unknown but is probably Early Iron Age. Dunterton church (All Saints) stands alone. It is mainly a 15th century building; some 14th century work survives in the S. door way and S. aisle. There is a bold W. tower with heavily crocketed pinnacles common to this district. The interior is plain and pleasant.

Back to top 25-11-2014