Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography is available from any public library in Devon and to registered library members at home.
If you are using a library computer you will be automatically connected to the search page. If you are using a computer at home, you will first be asked to enter your library membership card number; this is the number above the barcode on your library ticket. Type in the whole number, including the letter at the start and all the zeros, but do not include any spaces.
The full text of the new 60-volume print edition plus the full text of the original 33-volume DNB:
- More than 55,000 biographies of the people who shaped the history of the British Isles and beyond
- 10,000 portrait illustrations - everything from coins and death masks to photographs by Cecil Beaton and Man Ray
- Themed articles e.g. Nobel Prize winners, Oscar winners, Prime Ministers
- Articles on families and groups e.g. Busby Babes, Paston Family, Tolpuddle Martyrs
- Search by names, places, dates and occupations
- Detailed list of sources for each article
- Regularly updated with new biographies and feature articles
Take an online tour of the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Download a user guide
Sign up to 'Get a life' a day by email
Printing and downloading
Single copies of articles may be printed or downloaded for personal use and private study. You can also email copies of articles to family and friends.