Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
(4.74MB - pdf help)
Moretonhampstead is an ancient market town situated on the edge of Dartmoor in Devon. It sits in the shelter of hills on three sides and the beautiful Wray valley on the fourth. Dartmoor is only 4 miles away and no matter which road you take you cannot fail to be impressed by the breathtaking views. The town is about 15 miles from Exeter, Newton Abbot, Okehampton and Princetown and is a perfect place from which to visit the moors, the Devon countryside and the seaside.
It began as a small Saxon settlement around A.D. 700 and the name is derived from the original Saxon Mortun meaning an enclosed piece of land near the moor. The addition of Hampstead came from one of the many Lords of the Manor much later on.
Moretonhampstead relies heavily on tourist trade. Its central position on Dartmoor makes it an ideal base to explore both Dartmoor and Devon. The central part of the town stands at an altitude of 700 feet but a short stroll within the parish will elevate the walker to beyond 1100 feet (340 m) and afford spectacular views of the surrounding area. Moreton boasts 5 pubs and 3 cafes. There is a wide selection of hotels, bed and breakfast, self-catering and camping accommodation and the visitor will find all one is likely to need in the busy local shops.
- The population of the Moretonhampstead Devon Town area for 2009 is 4276
- In the last 10 years, the population has grown by 9.78%
- Claimant counts for November 2008 were approximately 45 people
- Job Seekers Allowance for the area reached 1.67% of the working age population in November 2008
- District claimant count figures for 2008 showed a claimant count of 1.52% of the working age population
- The Average income in 2008 for the Moretonhampstead Devon Town area is £36391.83 per household
- Average house price for the area in 2007 was recorded as £343,334.43
- There were 49 year 11 pupils in this area in 2007
- 75.51% of year 11 pupils attained 5 A*-C grades at GCSE in 2007
- There are 32 year 6 pupils throughout the Moretonhampstead Devon Town area in 2007
- 77.1% of pupils attained KS2 Level 4+ in 2007
- For statistical profiles of the Moretonhampstead please click here