Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
Shillingford St. George
Shillingford St George is located within Teignbridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Exminster Hundred. It falls within Kenn Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 71 in 1801 63 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 32 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Dawlish & Teignmouth Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Shillingford St George area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 92/1 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 92NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX904879. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX98NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 031, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
SHILLINGFORD church (St. George) is a small 15th century building of red sandstone, over-restored internally in 1856, but containing a good brass (on the N. side of the chancel) to Sir William Huddesfield (d. 1499) and his wife Katherine Courtenay, with three children.