Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
Rewe is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Wonford Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 195 in 1801 237 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 69 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Pinhoe Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Rewe area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 68/7 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 68NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX946993. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX99NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 114, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
REWE church (St. Mary) is a pleasant 15th century building. The chancel screen is 15th century work, modernised and newl1coloured; some of the bench-ends are old and well carved.
Upexe, a Domesday estate, had an ancient chapel (dedication unknown), which was rebuilt in 1888. Rudway is another Domesday estate.