You are in: home >

Thursday 30 October 2014

Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |

Poltimore

Poltimore is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Wonford Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 250 in 1801 298 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 75 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Pinhoe Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image pictured here is of the Poltimore area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 68/12,16 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 68SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX966968. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX99NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 114, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.

Illustrations: The image below is of Poltimore as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

POLTIMORE gives its name to the barony of Poltimore, created 1831. The manor came to the Bampfyldes soon after 1303 and has remained with them to the present day. Their house, a plain square mansion in a dull park, was probably rebuilt by Sir Coplestone Bampfylde, the 2nd baronet (1636-91). The date 1681 appears on the stone gate-piers at the main entrance to the park and may indicate the date of completion of the house, which was altered in the 1840s by the first Lord Poltimore. A new wing was added in 1909. The house is now a private hospital.

The church (St. Mary) was rather heavily restored by Medley Fulford in 1878-84 when a number of drastic changes were made, but it retains some interesting features, including a fine chancel screen. This has its ancient tracery, with beautiful Renaissance detail of late date in the vaulting (c. 1520-30). The 18th century Bampfylde pew is a good specimen of its kind with a fireplace. In the south transept is the tomb with recumbent figures of Richard Bampfylde (d. 1594) and Elizabeth, his wife (d. 1599).

Back to top 30-10-2014