Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
Pilton is located within North Devon local authority area. The population was 831 in 1801 2238 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In the valuation of 1334 it was assessed at £00/13/04. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £15/06/08. In 1641/2 294 adult males signed the Protestation returns. It is recorded as a borough from 1222. East Pilton merged with Barnstaple. A market is recorded from 14 cent..
A parish history file is held in Barnstaple Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Pilton area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS556342. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS53SE, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 180.
Illustrations: The image below is of Pilton as included in the Library's illustration collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.