Skip Navigation | Graphical Site | Access Options | Listen | Translation | Help | A to Z | Site Map

You are in: home >

Sunday 22 January 2017

Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |


Inwardleigh is located within West Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Black Torrington Hundred. It falls within Okehampton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 384 in 1801 421 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 95 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Okehampton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website

Maps: The image below is of the Inwardleigh area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 64/7,11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 64NE,SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX561994. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX59NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 113, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 191. Geological sheet 324 also covers the area.

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

INWARDLEIGH takes its name from Inwar, its Domesday owner. Other Domesday manors in this large parish were Curworthy, Oak, and Widefield.

The church (dedication unknown, but now attributed to St. Petrock) is a pleasant little 16th century building, dulled internally by a too-thorough restoration in 1899. There is a fine Norman font, of an early cushion-bowl type, decorated with beautiful naturalistic sprays. The Barton, beside the church, is on the site of the ancient mansion of the Coffins, who held the manor from the 12th century to the 14th, and contains some features of antiquarian interest.

Back to top 22-1-2017