Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
Alphington is located within Exeter local authority area. Historically it formed part of Wonford Hundred. It falls within Kenn Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 845 in 1801 1113 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website.In 1641/2 196 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in St Thomas Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website
Maps: The image below is of the Alphington area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 80/14 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 80SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX919899. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX99SW,SX98NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 114, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Alphington. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
ALPHINGTON has been suburbanised by its proximity to Exeter, but there is still much decent 18th century and early 19th century building. Mile End Cottage, beside the Exeter road, is the house in which Charles Dickens installed his parents in 1839. Facing the church is a good specimen of an early I7th century Devon farmhouse. The parish church (St. Michael) is almost entirely a 15th century building, with a good tower. The 12th century Beer stone font is one of the finest of its period in Devon. The rood-screen is 15th century but the N. aisle screen is different in design and execution and may have come from another church. The screen across the tower arch was made up from the remains of the former Jacobean gallery (1625) demolished in 1875.