(4.26MB - pdf help)
The town faces onto Lyme Bay, and is to the west of the mouth of the River Axe with red cliffs to one side and white cliffs on the other. Axmouth and Beer are nearby. A sea wall provides access to the mostly shingle beach stretching for about a mile, and a small harbour.
Seaton stands on the 95-mile Jurassic Coast of the Dorset and East Devon Coast World Heritage Coastline. From here it is possible to visit all three eras of rocks strata in this 185 million-year ‘geological walk through time’.
The area around Seaton is rich in wildlife. The agricultural landscape supports areas of ancient woodland (often with impressive displays of bluebells), important networks of hedges, unimproved grassland and springline mires. Around Beer there are still remnants of flower-rich chalk grassland, a rare habitat in Devon. The Axe Estuary dominates the centre of the area, with its associated areas of grazing marsh, and the River Axe itself is of international importance for its aquatic communities. To the east lies the Axmouth to Lyme Regis Undercliffs National Nature Reserve.
The bird-watching and wildlife areas of the Axe Vale have been enhanced by the establishment of the Seaton Marshes Local Nature Reserve with important work being carried out by the Axe Vale & District Conservation Society. In 2007 an Audouin's Gull was seen here - one of very few British records.
- The population of the Seaton Devon Town area for 2009 is 12855
- In the last 10 years, the population has grown by 7.09%
- Claimant counts for November 2008 were approximately 35 people
- Job Seekers Allowance for the area reached 0.51% of the working age population in November 2008
- District claimant count figures for 2008 showed a claimant count of 1.22% of the working age population
- The Average income in 2008 for the Seaton Devon Town area is £27831.38 per household
- Average house price for the area in 2007 was recorded as £246,631.75
- There were 89 year 11 pupils in this area in 2007
- 49.44% of year 11 pupils attained 5 A*-C grades at GCSE in 2007
- There are 81 year 6 pupils throughout the Seaton Devon Town area in 2007
- 81.5% of pupils attained KS2 Level 4+ in 2007
- For statistical profiles of the Seaton please click here