Public Services in Devon


Gas Safety

If you think you smell gas DO NOT turn electrical switches on or off, smoke, or use naked flames. TURN OFF the gas supply at the meter and open all doors and windows.

Fuel appliances need fresh air to work properly and safely, so don't block off ventilation in the rooms they are in. Carbon Monoxide gas is poisonous. You can't see it, smell it or taste it. It is often produced from faulty appliances, which have not been properly installed or maintained. Early symptoms of poisoning include TIREDNESS, DROWSINESS, HEADACHE, STOMACH and CHEST PAINS. If you suspect that you or someone else is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning you should call a doctor as soon as possible.

EMERGENCY NUMBERS:- For gas emergencies please call National Grid immediately on Freephone 0800 111 999 at any time, day or night. Your call will not cost you anything. Just pick up the phone, dial the number and you will be put through to a trained operator who will take all the details.

All calls to the National Gas Emergency Service are recorded, and may be monitored.

Electricity Safety

Your local electricity distributor is responsible for the wiring into your home up to the point of your meter.

All wiring leading from the meter is your responsibility so your distributor will not visit your home to replace a fuse in your fusebox or fix an appliance.

In the event of a power cut please contact the 24-hour emergency service fault information centre on 0800 365 900. You will find this and other  numbers at the top of your electricity bill or statement, in the telephone book under 'Electricity' or through Directory Enquiry Services.

For more information on electricity supplies visit Western Power


If you find a leak or burst pipe in your home, you should turn the water off at the stopcock and call a qualified plumber. Details of local plumbers may be found in Yellow Pages. If you live in rented accommodation call your landlord or housing provider.

However, if you see a water leak or burst pipe in the road, on a pavement or any other place, please call South West Water free of charge on 0800 169 1144. This service is available 24 hours a day. If your contact is an emergency and you require an immediate response please call this number.

South West Water
Billing and general enquiries - 0800 169 1133


There are now a number of competitors in the home phone market.  

To report a fault on a BT line call 0800 800 151

For other providers consult your latest telephone bill for details of how to report a fault.